Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Did you run or do another work out today? :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    4 mile run for me. It was 44* and felt much better than my Tuesday run which was 33* and rainy.

This is the first time I've run 3 days in a row since my achilles injury and still feeling great! Woohoo!

Jess
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Rest day today for me. Have a great run everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • lisarae
    lisarae Posts: 113
    Options
    Yay! I finally got back out after the storm that blew through last week. No slick spots and a tolerable 35 degrees. I got 5 miles in. I could tell, though, I hadn't run in a while. Some muscles were a bit sore. I have been doing tae bo and other kickboxing videos during the week so I'm not entirely bumming. Happy running to those who can! :)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    7.5 miles this morning. Back to 75 degrees and muggy at 5:45 AM:ohwell: Better than 33 I guess.
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Did an easy 3 miles today. I have my first 10K coming up in a week. What do you eat the night before and the morning of? I really don't want to have to make a pit stop if you know what I mean :blushing:
    Bunny
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    They say to eat pasta the day before a big rum it gives you all your carbs for the next day.
    Thats what my friend does everytime before a big run it seems to help her.

I did eat pasta before my big run and it made me feel energized that morning and not sluggish.
    Good luck:smile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Did an easy 3 miles today. I have my first 10K coming up in a week. What do you eat the night before and the morning of? I really don't want to have to make a pit stop if you know what I mean :blushing:
    Bunny

I'm not a huge pasta fan, so my night before meal is pancakes!! I make the whole grain pancakes for my carb and an egg white omelet. I LOOOOVE pancakes and they seem to sit well in my tummy. I also like a chicken breast & brown rice.

What do you normally eat before running? I would stick to what works for you. I like a banana and a small bowl of oatmeal, no dairy before a run for me. A friend of mine likes to eat honey wheat pretzels, guess the carb & salt works for her. Just find what works for you!

Good luck!

Jess
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Bunny
    Coaches will tell you 'Nothing new on race day' Stick to foods that have worked well for you on your training runs. I like something like a grilled chicken breast and pasta or brown rice the night before, waffles and some Gatorade on the morning of. I would avoid anything really spicy or greasy the night before, (and I don't handle dairy well the morning of) to minimize stomach cramps. Caffeine is debatable - if you can't function without it, go ahead, but otherwise, between the pre-race hydration and the excitement of the race, that coffee or tea will probably have you looking for that port-a-potty half way through the race.
    Good luck on your 10 K
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    5 miles today... it was a good run for me. I did about 20 minutes of weights after.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    They say to eat pasta the day before a big rum it gives you all your carbs for the next day.

I did eat pasta before my big run and it made me feel energized that morning and not sluggish.

Actually it's really the 2 days before that are crucial, for food and sleep. If your nervous and can't eat, or sleep the night before, it's really no big deal, other than the fact that you're nervous that is :tongue:

I eat my carby meal 2 nights before, and go to bed nice and early. But still, don't eat anything crazy! And race day, do what you usually do!

I eat whatever I want the night before, the night before my last marathon I had a huge prime rib, with tons of horseradish, and for dessert a squash creme brulee, yummy, yummy :bigsmile:

Oh, and I ran 5 miles today, and did day 4 of "Making the Cut" which will henceforth be referred to as MTC :laugh:

Good luck to those with races!!!
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    Hey all!! Well I am on the way to "back":drinker: since my stress fractures. I jogged in a 5 k on saturday with some walking. That was probably to much though. I rested on Sunday, did the elliptical on Monday, rested on Tuesday, walked yesterday 1 mile with a very light jog the last couple hundred yards, then I ran one mile tonight. Slow but working back up to where I was (8:24 on a mile) The 10K came and went...sad!! But hopefully I will be ready for a really good 5K soon!! Keep up the good work all !!!
  • bunnyr
    bunnyr Posts: 275 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the good advice. I did not know that what you eat two nights before matters. I love a big cup of tea in the morning and cannot function without it. Maybe I will get up easlier that usual. I usually do not eat before a long run, just tea with sugar. But I do gu halfway through.

I will stick to pasta and a little chicken. That is my simple - easy on the stomach dinner. But I do like the pasta/RUM idea :laugh:
    Bunny