Why is it called water loss?

Options
Why are those first few pounds everyone loses (especially if you lose it quickly) called water weight? I know that the weight isnt fat isnt usually fat in those first few days but how can it be water? When I start a "diet" I usually drink my 8 glasses a day which is more than usual. I can see it being called water weight if you cut down your sodium but I don't usually watch it. Is it because if you drink more water then your body doesn't retain water?

Can anyone explain this??

Replies

• laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Why are those first few pounds everyone loses (especially if you lose it quickly) called water weight? I know that the weight isnt fat isnt usually fat in those first few days but how can it be water? When I start a "diet" I usually drink my 8 glasses a day which is more than usual. I can see it being called water weight if you cut down your sodium but I don't usually watch it. Is it because if you drink more water then your body doesn't retain water?

Can anyone explain this??
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I got this from www.weightlossforall.com:

Losing water weight

When losing weight its inevitable that water will make up some of the weight loss. No matter how we lose weight or how long the weight loss takes everyone will lose water. Many factors determine the amount of water we lose in comparison to fat loss, they include:

which exercise is selected

the diet chosen - for example, a low carb diet may increase water loss

calorie intake - lowering calorie intake too much will cause more water loss

the physical state of the person - the amount of protein and carb stores before new diet

The water weight loss comes from a net loss of protein and carbohydrates especially during the first few weeks of a reduction in calories. On reducing calories the body needs to rely more on energy within the body and thus breaks down protein and carbohydrate for metabolism. When these nutrients are metabolised water is released. Fat stores do supply a little of the energy but at first a good proportion comes from protein and the limited stores of carbohydrates within the cells.

For weight loss the trick is to reduce losing water weight as much as possible so the body is forced to burn more body fat stores. To limit losing water weight many people will:

consume small portions of high quality protein at each meal

reduce food intake gradually and count calories

anaerobic exercise can slow protein lost from muscle cells

not crash diet or starve

train for strength so to increase muscle

lose weight slowly no more than 2 pounds per week
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Laird...you got it. Most of the time as you consume more water your body no longer needs to "hoard" it to nourish itself...as it now get's water regularly when it needs it. As such your body starts to flush out the reserves it holds onto. By the way, this is also something that is done for people with hypertension actually....water retained in the body causes the circulation system to work harder increasing blood pressure. Some none medicinal first steps, from what I have been told, are to use diuretics/water pills to help ensure water is properly flushed out - I am not a doctor...but someone on the pills told me that it was early stage intervention.

Plus as you work more you sweat out more water.

And you are right on sodium as well...which holds water too.