Could use a little encouragement...... :-(

Options
I have been going strong for 3 months and lost steadily every single week. Things have slowed tremendously and it is discouraging. I have many stress factors in my life that i know are not helping but i need/want to persevere. This community has been such an inspiration to me and so helpful and i would not be where i am today without it but i still have a ways to go and need a little boost to help my motivation. I weigh in weekly and on Mondays (probably not the best idea) as it seems to gage my mood for the entire week. I have barely lost a pound in 2 weeks and am not sure what i am doing wrong or if it is normal. Ok - enough of my pity party....

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You need to mix things up now and then.

For the stresses, just make sure you put yourself first and make sure you are important and deserve to reach your goals as much as anyone

Try swapping some carb calories for fat/protein, try doing something different, try doing some strength exercises
  • angelacasey736
    angelacasey736 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

For the stresses, just make sure you put yourself first and make sure you are important and deserve to reach your goals as much as anyone

Try swapping some carb calories for fat/protein, try doing something different, try doing some strength exercises
    I actually added strength in two weeks ago which is when things started to slow down - ironic hunh?
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight slowly you never get saggy skin. And good things take time, relax and get over this hump in the road and it will happen. Hang in there
  • soonersgirl
    soonersgirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    find a fun way to workout...i know it's hard to do, but i have heard that zumba is fun. i really wanna try it! i completely understand the stress thing..either it makes you eat and eat or not wanna eat at all. i know when i get down and don't feel like it anymore, i get on this website and i start reading the success stories and that keeps me going:)
  • samuelette
    samuelette Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you just added strength, could it be possible that you're still losing fat, but gaining muscle?
  • mislmar
    mislmar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I get upset too when I don't lose the weight I think I should when I want it to happen but try not to let it get you down. You have lost a lot of weight and are doing great. I'm sure you will start seeing those numbers go down on the scale soon. It sometimes takes a little longer for the scales to show all the work we do. As long as you are losing even a little weight it is a step in the right direction :) Good luck on your weight loss journey!!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!

Maybe switch your weigh-in day to Friday? That has helped me since I tend to have more 'yuck' food over a weekend.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's great that you desire to keep on even if you are feeling a little discouraged. Plateaus are a part of the journey, unfortunately, and the closer you get to the 'finish line'.... the slower you will go, but KNOW that no matter what... YOU ARE MOVING. So keep on! Do not give up! Do not relent! Do not give in. Keep ON!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you just added strength, could it be possible that you're still losing fat, but gaining muscle?

This might be the answer.
    Also, remember, when you first start a lot of weight loss is from water weight. This is why on those TV weight loss shows their first challenge is an astronomical amount of weight and the second challenges are usually about 1/2 to 2/3 the amount...your body adapts so you lose slower, but you are losing. Just keep working out and eating clean.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! The strength training is SOOO important to LOOK good at the goal weight, no one wants to be skinny fat.

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero//

She's my new hero because it shows that I'd rather weigh a little more and LOOK smaller than worry about JUST the number on the scale.

I've been at this ALMOST a year (in about 10 days) and I'm down 70lbs. There were bad days, and bad weeks but I NEVER GAVE UP. I never gave in! I knew that this was my LIFE I was fighting for and I wanted to stay healthy, get more fit and lose this weight and look better.

I have about 13lbs left to my "goal" weight and it's definitely slower now but I notice the inches coming off wonderfully now. So take measurements to prove that you're sculpting that bod as you go along!!
  • kkriofske
    kkriofske Posts: 1
    Options
    If weight training is making the actual weight loss slow, use measurements of your body or your clothes as new motivation. While the loss will be less, you'll enjoy the way your clothes will start to get looser. And remind yourself that muscle burns more calories that fat . . . so in the long run, you're doing great things with adding the weight training.

It looks like you're doing great. Just hang in there! Everyone hits plateaus at some point. You'll find the new routines that will get you back on track soon enough!
  • Lisahandy
    Lisahandy Posts: 12
    Options
    [/quote]
    I actually added strength in two weeks ago which is when things started to slow down - ironic hunh?
    [/quote]
    My husband just remacked on this suject to another MFP friend here is what he said.
    "That causes muscles to become a little inflamed, and so they absorb more water. It's a short term affect, and ultimately beneficial, but it can cause weight gain even when you have fat loss. "
    He is pretty smart about most things and does his research before he offers an opinion so I usually,usually take it as good advice.
    Good luck and don't give in!
  • wendibartel
    wendibartel Posts: 132
    Options
    Just wanted to share something I saw today. Put me in a positive mood this morning.

When I woke up this morning, I asked myself, "What is life about?" I found the answer in my room...the fan said, "Be cool." The roof said, "Aim high." The window said, "See the world!" The clock said, "Every minute is precious." The mirror said, "Reflect before you act." The calendar said, "Be up to date." The door said, "Push hard for your goals." The floor said, "Kneel down and pray"...~ Please share

Keep your chin up and I am sure you can do it. I agree with others that you should try changing things up. Go enjoy a nice long swim :)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I'm not very good at pep talks, I'll leave that to the girls.
    However, to dispell yet another common weight loss myth

Your weight has not, I repeat NOT slowed because you're building muscle.

Having muscle makes you lose weight faster, it raises your metabolism, and it's EXTREMELY hard to build, and very hard to maintain. It's the first thing your body will destroy in a time of food shortage, and it takes approx. 3500 cal to build 1lb of muscle.

If you've added strength, it's possible the calorie deficit is now not being calculated and you're actually eating too little to lose weight, or if you've swapped cardio time for strength, it's possible you've sacrificed some intensity in your workouts.

For some serious intensity, checkout Crossfit, MetCon or Tabata. A quick blast in the morning could be all you need to get over a slump.

What equipment have you got?
  • 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Try eating a snack after working out with weights that is High in Protein like Greek Yogurt or Hummus. This keeps those muscles burning after your workout is done, also make sure you drink water.
  • angelacasey736
    Options
    I'm not very good at pep talks, I'll leave that to the girls.
    However, to dispell yet another common weight loss myth

Your weight has not, I repeat NOT slowed because you're building muscle.

Having muscle makes you lose weight faster, it raises your metabolism, and it's EXTREMELY hard to build, and very hard to maintain. It's the first thing your body will destroy in a time of food shortage, and it takes approx. 3500 cal to build 1lb of muscle.

If you've added strength, it's possible the calorie deficit is now not being calculated and you're actually eating too little to lose weight, or if you've swapped cardio time for strength, it's possible you've sacrificed some intensity in your workouts.

For some serious intensity, checkout Crossfit, MetCon or Tabata. A quick blast in the morning could be all you need to get over a slump.

What equipment have you got?
    I have a gym at work and i vary my excercise between the elliptical, treadmill, and bike. I walk roughly 4 miles in my neighborhood on the weekends. I only recently added the strength training (we have the circuit equipment in the gym) - i know it is not muscle build up becuase i know this takes time - a lot longer than i have been doing. I was doing cardio videos for a while but that depends on my time allotment - being a wife, mother of two, and working full time. I have noticed it is much harder to burn the calories I was burning in the beginning but i know that makes sense as well. Thank you for taking the time to respond. It is greatly appreciated!
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Exericise and diet doesn't take time, it takes effort!

Treadmill intervals! Whoop! Whoop!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You've come so far!!! We all have our discouraged, down days. Keep your head up :)
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    If 'circuit equipment' involves a medicine ball, you could do a metcon circuit.

As many rounds as possible for 20mins, with medball

10 Alternating Woodchops/reverse woodchops (5 a side, either direction, you choose)
    10 press ups (hands on a bench or similar idealy to make it easier, or knees if no bench etc. For a challenge, one hand on the ball during press ups and pass it to the other for the next... repeat)
    10 russian twists (sit with your legs in front, touch the ball either side of your butt by lifting it over your legs and twisting)
    10 overhead squats (hold the ball with two hands, arms straight towards the ceiling.
  • angelacasey736
    Options
    If 'circuit equipment' involves a medicine ball, you could do a metcon circuit.

As many rounds as possible for 20mins, with medball

10 Alternating Woodchops/reverse woodchops (5 a side, either direction, you choose)
    10 press ups (hands on a bench or similar idealy to make it easier, or knees if no bench etc. For a challenge, one hand on the ball during press ups and pass it to the other for the next... repeat)
    10 russian twists (sit with your legs in front, touch the ball either side of your butt by lifting it over your legs and twisting)
    10 overhead squats (hold the ball with two hands, arms straight towards the ceiling.
    Havent seen one - only the bigger balls. I should probably invest in one for home...thanks for this - its great!