Protein

Options
I have searched this topic on the boards but my question wasn't really answered. I am having a hard time getting the 107+ grams of protein I need each day. I know about eating cottage cheese, chicken, beef, fish, jerky, etc that I can get protein from but I am wondering if there is something else that is high in protein that doesn't involve drinking a shake? I am hoping that there is some food out there that I haven't heard or thought of that tastes good and is high in protein? Thanks for your help...

Replies

• anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Plant foods such as grains, legumes, nuts and seeds are all pretty high in protein. I don't know if you have an aversion to soy, but tofu can be great. The silken (soft) tofu can be added to some fruit and be turned into a shake that isn't gritty. I add hummus to my sandwiches, eat some almonds in the mornings (good fat as well), make a quick 3 bean chili sometimes. Beans are just awesome. Sprouted beans won't leave you gassy either. :) I hope a few of these suggestions helped.
  • anastasiawildflower
    anastasiawildflower Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://www.inotfat.com/lose-weight-vegetarian/vegetarian-protein-foods-list.htm

I just mention this because, you seem to have mentioned all of the animal based ones that I can think of.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I have searched this topic on the boards but my question wasn't really answered. I am having a hard time getting the 107+ grams of protein I need each day. I know about eating cottage cheese, chicken, beef, fish, jerky, etc that I can get protein from but I am wondering if there is something else that is high in protein that doesn't involve drinking a shake? I am hoping that there is some food out there that I haven't heard or thought of that tastes good and is high in protein? Thanks for your help...

The highest protein foods (per serving) are pretty much turkey, tuna, chicken and cottage cheese. Get upwards of 150g per day and it mostly comes from meats, cottage cheese and a protein shake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt (has 2 x as much protein as regular yogurt .... lower in carbs too)

Egg whites (add extra whites to an egg dish)

Grains and cereals can have protein too. Look at labels to find the highest protein number.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes were specifically designed to give people the protein they need when they are having trouble meeting their protein requirements from whole foods.
  • luigigirl
    luigigirl Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. Each of your input did help. I have been kind of shying away from beans and nuts because of the high calories, but I am going to try to incorporate some into my food choices and see if I can get that boost in protein grams. With regards to protein shakes, I can't find one that I like. The few I have tried have a gritty texture and taste that I just don't care for. I didn't even think about adding extra egg whites! :smile: Thanks again!!
  • jaimevondawson
    Options
    The trick to protein shakes is a blender and ice. It doesn't tast gross and doesn't have the gritty texture!

Love you!!!

:)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Protein shakes were specifically designed to give people the protein they need when they are having trouble meeting their protein requirements from whole foods.

Agreed, it is difficult (while not impossible) to get all of your protein in on a caloric deficit without protein supplements. Although it is better to get it from whole sources if you can.