Sugar Free Vs. Fat Free

Options
Which is the better choice? I know that when foods say they are "Fat Free" they replace the fat with sugar and sugar turns to fat.

But for example, Which would you choose?

A. "Fat Free" pudding that has Sugar in it?
B. "Sugar Free" pudding that has Fat in it?

Replies

• beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel the sugar free is the better choice. I have found that limited sugar and carbs at various times during my journey has brought on huge success. You don't need that sugar sweetie and fats are good for you-just not in excess. Don't believe the hype about fat free foods. Educate yourself! It has made a world of difference for me. Good luck & be well :bigsmile:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Well, since you asked....
    I wouldn't choose either. They aren't real foods.

BTW-- fat is good for you.
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    and I agree, I would also choose the sugar free.
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat almost everything with full fat and sugar (not that I'm inhaling a ton of either). I can't do the artificial sweetners ... I'd just rather not have them as they just don't taste good to me. As far as fat, you're right, they replace what they take out with sugar. Vicious cyle isn't it?
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Sugar free. Make sure the fat in it is a healthy one like coconut, olive, or flax. Many pudding cups are made with hydrogenated fats--absolutely the worst.
  • YoungJoker
    Options
    I'll choose sugar free because sweet food just makes you want to have more
  • goddesshanna
    goddesshanna Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to look for labels that say "A naturally fat free food" or "No added sugar" to avoid that very problem.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I would make this:

From this website: http://www.yummyvegetariandelights.com/2010/03/chocolate-pudding-made-from-avocados.html

Chocolate Avocado Pudding

You will need:
    2 small avocados or 1 large
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 tsp. honey (or honey to taste) * Raw, organic honey is a great choice to use or you can mix it with regular honey. It has many, many health benefits... read them here. Also, it is best to add no more than 1 to 2 teaspoons before you mix the pudding. It will turn out much creamier this way. Extra honey can be mixed in by hand before eating if desired.

The first thing you need to do is peel the avocados and cut them into chunks
    Now put the avocado, cocoa powder, and honey into a blender or food processor. I put mine into the chopper portion of the ninja.
    After it has been tossed about a bit in the ninja, it comes out creamy and sweet and chocolaty and YUMMY. You will need to blend for a while to get it extra creamy and dissolve all of the small pieces.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I would make this:

From this website: http://www.yummyvegetariandelights.com/2010/03/chocolate-pudding-made-from-avocados.html

Chocolate Avocado Pudding

You will need:
    2 small avocados or 1 large
    1 tablespoon cocoa
    1 tsp. honey (or honey to taste) * Raw, organic honey is a great choice to use or you can mix it with regular honey. It has many, many health benefits... read them here. Also, it is best to add no more than 1 to 2 teaspoons before you mix the pudding. It will turn out much creamier this way. Extra honey can be mixed in by hand before eating if desired.

The first thing you need to do is peel the avocados and cut them into chunks
    Now put the avocado, cocoa powder, and honey into a blender or food processor. I put mine into the chopper portion of the ninja.
    After it has been tossed about a bit in the ninja, it comes out creamy and sweet and chocolaty and YUMMY. You will need to blend for a while to get it extra creamy and dissolve all of the small pieces.

OMG, I totally found this recipe yesterday except it was made with carob powder! It really looked delicious!
  • nobo
    nobo Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with a few of the other people here and say "neither" in this case. If a food is naturally free or low in fat or sugar, great. But, if your choice is artifically sweetened or artificially thickened pudding, I'd say skip it and find something that's going to give you the same satisfaction with maybe a little more nutrition. Yogurt, for example. If you save things like pudding, chips, candy etc. for a once-in-a-while treat, instead of eating their artificially "light" substitutes on a daily basis, you might break the habit of even wanting these foods in the first place. Then, when you do decide to have that dish of ice cream, or whatever, you can enjoy and appreciate the real thing more.
  • ArlVAMom
    ArlVAMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd eat some dark chocolate instead!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    ick. I prefer the real stuff in moderation. It keeps me more satisfied. Full fat. Full calorie. Full flavor.