Blow Out Days

Options
Hey everyone, I was curious how often some of you have blow out days on your diet? Those days where counters go out the window, and you eat like there is no tomorrow. I've been dieting since March 1, and have really only had 2 of those days so far, both for weddings where I was craving wedding cake like it was my last meal on Earth. I avoided the scale for the next few days and tried to be super strict for the next 4-7 days to get back on track. Both times is cost me 2-3 lbs, but worth it.

I ask this today because the wife and I are having a Daycation day on Saturday with a couple restaurants that are definitely not diet friendly, but I'm very much looking forward to it. Sushi for dinner, and an old school classic deli for lunch. It will probably be a 3K calorie day, but I feel like everyone now and again you have to take that dive.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    Look at it this way - YOU'VE LOST 70 POUNDS!!!

You're entitled to enjoy a food day with your wife! :flowerforyou:
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i try to remember it is a lifestyle change and there are going to be days where I eat more.. then back to it the next day.. sometimes we need it.. good luck
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I'm just kind of starting but let me tell you...my goal of reaching 50lbs lost is only going to be reached if I behave through the holidays this year. I am going to choose more of the healthier versions to pig out on....beets, turkey, ham, cabbage..mmm sooo good instead of the pumpkin pie, ice cream, and cobblers. It's going to be a challenge but just choose what you pig out on carefully and it almost doesnt matter because it's healthy to begin with!! That's how I'm going about it anyway haha.
  • nibblerbigcat
    Options
    I just remind myself that one day of overeating isn't going to make me gain a substantial amount of weight over night. And I also like to think that the days where I let loose and eat a lot and then go back to normal eating are actually doing my metabolism good.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Look at it this way - YOU'VE LOST 70 POUNDS!!!

You're entitled to enjoy a food day with your wife! :flowerforyou:

100% agree with this post

do you honestly think that thin people never pig out ???

:tongue:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think I've gone over maintenance calories since I started, so even if I have a splurge meal (almost never an entire day) I'm not eating the way I did to GAIN the 80 some pounds I'm working on losing.

There are some foods I realize I don't even like that much that I would have eaten before just because they are there. I don't really like cake or pastries. I do enjoy cheesecake but I can have one small slice and be satisfied.

For myself I just don't desire to EVER go back to that type of bad eating so even a splurge is more healthy now than it would have been. I can't even EAT the portion sizes I did before or I'd be sick. That alone helps keep the splurges small.

Edit: I also never use food for a prize for reaching a goal (not that you are but some people do) and that makes a difference.

At the restaurant I'd choose a smaller portion of something even if it's bad, eating less of it helps! You CAN enjoy eating out and still lose/maintain weight loss.
  • Caseyanna
    Caseyanna Posts: 53
    Options
    I just remind myself that one day of overeating isn't going to make me gain a substantial amount of weight over night. And I also like to think that the days where I let loose and eat a lot and then go back to normal eating are actually doing my metabolism good.

I agree!!! But for whatever reason, my brain doesn't want to believe that!! LOL, I'm nuts I swear... but I think I'm going to wake up at 170 lbs again! I have to remind myself that's it's impossible to gain 36 lbs from ONE MEAL!
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    What I do on days that I know that I will not be w/in my "weight loss calories" I change my settings to maintain to allow for a higher calorie goal. That seems to work well for me. I've only done this once or twice.

I'm afraid Sat might be a blow out because I have a class reunion at the state park and it's all picnic style. Hope the girl bringing the veggies has a lot! LOL
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    absolutely you deserve it! If it helps you feel a little less guilty, what about doing some walking to and from the restaurant? ;-P