Seasoning without salt????

Options
2»

Replies

• kjpollard
    kjpollard Posts: 68
    Options
    just another perspective...

Salt is not bad in and of itself. It's all the processed foods we eat that have so much sodium in it. If you eat less processed stuff, you can use more salt in your homecooked food.

However, throw out table salt...it's garbage (IMO). I use Redmond's "Real salt" Its not iodized, and SO much healthier. You don't need as much. Also, the larger the granule, the bigger the pop of flavor, so a few sprinkles of large granule salt will give you more band for your buck.

HTH

Respectively, KJP
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Try just sticking with the low salt you have been doing. It's amazing how your taste buds will adjust. Soon you will taste processed foods and be disgusted with how salty they taste.
    Research has shown that people actually enjoy the taste of food better, once they cut salt out.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love all seasonings but I do really like the Mrs Dash combos.
  • EecJlc
    EecJlc Posts: 10
    Options
    I buy Nutrasalt from Amazon.com. It's low sodium Sea Salt. It tastes like really salt though. I love it!
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash, she has alot of good seasoning's but I also use Epicure. They have a line of spices that have no salt in them as well and they are delicious!
  • crazynay96
    crazynay96 Posts: 99
    Options
    are you trying to cut out sodium? My husband has high BP so we've cut adding salt and try to get low sodium things and we eat at home vs out 24/7 now. We use "NoSalt" which contains potassium chloride instead of sodium. I've never been a salt person (personally I'm a pepper gal!) but in cooking with it I can't tell a difference. I do not like it, however, when adding it to something that has already been cooked or to something cold. These salt substitutes are good for cooking with only, IMO. Its cheap and lasts forever - you can pick it up at any grocery store.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    In cutting out additional salt in our meals, I've added a small amount of hard cheese (parmesan, asiago, gruyere), extra fresh garlic and fresh herbs, lots of strongly flavored foods (like having extra grape tomatoes, or spinach and slivered garlic, or a dab of pesto....depending on the dish.) Instead of salting water to boil potatoes or pasta (like my mom taught me), I just don't.

Sometimes, I add a little bit of kosher salt at the table to thick, bland foods, like lentil dishes: having the salt at the surface, and in slightly larger pieces, makes the salt flavor more pronounced. However, a small sprinkle of pungent cheese (blue, feta) also works.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I use mrs dash (or the equivelant of) to season most things, I also switched to half salt for times when I need that flavor. I think that sauteed veggies add great flavor to almost anything. I use applecider vinegar and lemon juice a lot and never underestimate pepper, and fresh or dried spices!!

Eventually your palate will catch up to your non use of sodium and things will start tasting better.