Numbness?

Options
This apparently is a pretty common issue since I googled it and a lot of people seem to suffer from it, but do any of you get numb in the feet when you are walking/running? I do a 3 mile walk every morning and about a half mile in I start to get numb in my right foot, it's weird. I didn't think my shoes were tied too tight or anything strange and my shoes are roomy so they aren't tight either I just don't unerstand..... anybody else have this happen? And how did you fix it?

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor just to be safe!
  • catmom2cj
    catmom2cj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have this same question so I'm interested to see what others say. A lot times when I jog/walk (not always) this happens to me too. Right foot - usually starts at small toe and works way to middle toe. I was going to mention it to my doctor at my appointment next month. I have bought new shoes and it still does it.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do some stretching before your walk and see if that doesn't help
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i run 5 miles a day and that doesn't happen to me lol. but sometimes I start to lose feeling/feel really weak after running longer than 6.5 consecutive miles.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Numbness, (tingling, pins & needles) of the extremeties is often related to a vertebral subluxation. I would recommend that you see a chiropractor or.... practice yoga.
  • mommyami1
    mommyami1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to only get it in my middle toes. I used to think it was just my head. I found myself flicking them just to make sure they were really numb. I talked to docs and chiros about it and they told me not to worry about it. I eventually forgot about it and now that I read your post, I realize it hasn't happened in a long time. A huge difference is that I used to run around doing shows in 3 inch heels. I don't do that anymore. Maybe it has something to do with tightness in the calves and ankles and such. But definitely check with a doc or chiro to make sure the blood flow to your feet is ok.
  • Allyc804
    Allyc804 Posts: 54
    Options
    Id def talk to a medical professional about that. Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have been to several providers for this problem - from an Orthopod, Chiropractor, Podiatrist - all had their own diagnosis from Tarsal Tunnel to heart disease and lack of circulation, etc etc - I've tried this that and everything else. Amazingly enough, I went for a massage and mention my numb feet when running. He said that I had tight muscles in my glutes that were rubbing on my sciatic nerve giving me numbness. I've worked on my stretching, flexibility and I sit on a tennis ball to apply to pressure points. I get a massage before long runs and races - and 0 - None - Not a Bit of numbness since I started addressing the tightness in this area. It used to be bad on an elliptical - or right about 4 miles on a run.

I also now lather up my glutes with BenGay prior to a run, which has helped too.