Replies

• landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    certain carbs... cut out grains.

bread
    pasta
    rice
    cereal

anything that is from grain. Continue with carbs but from fruits and veggies.

Good Luck!
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    i agree carbs = ENERGY big time. Plus you will lose weight cause you are reducing your totalcalorie intake but you're also going lose a whole lot of muscle. I think if you're planning to not just lose weight but gain good lean muscle so that when you walk your not jiggly ---- i've got wobbly bits so I'm talking from experience ---- you need the energy to work out to be firm.
    Just a thought. Good luck though with whatever you decide life is about trying and learning and trying and learning some more.
    I lift weights three days a week and I keep my carbs at about 100g a day. I am seeing steady gains, you can keep your carbs on the lower side and still build lean muscle.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Is your boss a qualified nutritionist?

Many people certainly see results from reducing carbs - me, I try to keep mine below 100g a day. I'm not a fan of Atkins or anything that can't be maintained long term. And all carbs are not the same - veggies good, processed white bread bad.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Yes, carbs give you energy. But they give you quick energy. If they're not used immediately, they are added to your body as fat. So, right before a workout, great! Use those carbs for the energy spike you need when you're being active.

But your body can also get energy by burning fat & protein. The chemical reaction involved is 3 parts fat to one part protein. And this type of energy is more slow-burning & steady. So: if you want to make your body burn more fat, try eating fewer carbs and more protein. Some people complain that when they went low-carb, they got tired & lost muscle. That only happens if you don't eat enough protein.

Your body will decide it needs to burn some fat, and it needs the amino acids from protein in order to convert the fatty acids to energy. So if you haven't eaten enough protein, it harvests the protein from your muscles. But if you eat enough protein, you should be fine.

As for low-carb not being sustainable, my doctor introduced me to several patients who are on a similar diet to mine (fewer than 40 carbs / day) and have been on this plan for 10-12 years. Some who were severely diabetic have been drug-free now for a decade. So if it's right for you, it *is* sustainable.

It's important to find a decent doctor who will work with you, test your metabolism if necessary, and help you make adjustments to your ratios in a safe way. As we said, everyone is different. Good luck!
  • beautybrainsbooty
    beautybrainsbooty Posts: 122 Member
    Ok. I am a HUGE low/no/limited carb believer. When I started to do this I watched the fat melt off my body. Also, my cravings for carbs seemed to be eliminated as well. Now I still integrate them and this month has been my month to enjoy whatever I want but truly, for me, cutting carbs brought on not only massive weight loss (82 pounds of fat to date) but a better frame of mind too. But you decide what works for your body. I love being in control of my food and this works. Good luck & be well!
  • hbmcracer
    hbmcracer Posts: 105 Member
    Wow, there's a lot of bad information in this thread.

Your boss is NOT an idiot, if you want to lose weight fast cut down on carbs. I'm sure that's what he meant because it would be pretty much impossible to eliminate them altogether.

Yes carbs = energy but unless you are a hummingbird or marathon runner you don't need huge amounts of glycogen stores. You can function and have plenty of energy on as low as 20-40g of carbs a day. Atkins induction phase says to keep under 20g fr 2 weeks. It definitely will put your body in ketosis which is when the liver runs out of glycogen and starts producing ketones to use for energy. This is what causes your body to use fat and glycerol as energy, it does not shrink your muscles lol.

I am not a doctor, but a huge information *kitten* and researcher. I've read a lot on the subject and decided that is the way to go for me to reduce fat, lower my blood glucose levels, and be healthy and live a long long time for my family.

I just started Monday and have lost 7 pounds and my bg has been below 130 consistently instead of 150 in the morning and 220 in the evening. When my bg is consistently around 100 and I have lost some more weight I will introduce a few more grams of carbs per day into my diet, those carbs will come frome fruit and veggies, I will probably never eat bread or sweets again the way I have in the past. They will only be for special occasions.

If you decide to go the route of lowering your carb intake, I suggest you read a FEW books not just 1, watch Fat Head the documentary, look for the big fat fiasco on youtube, and CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE INSULIN RESISTANT OR DIABETIC AND ON MEDS.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    To quote my favorite fitness author:

"Low Carb dieting is the last resort for the lazy. Kicking *kitten* at exercise requires high-performance fuel, dammit!"
    - James Fell (www.bodyforwife.com)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Wow, there's a lot of bad information in this thread.

Your boss is NOT an idiot, if you want to lose weight fast cut down on carbs. I'm sure that's what he meant because it would be pretty much impossible to eliminate them altogether.

Yes carbs = energy but unless you are a hummingbird or marathon runner you don't need huge amounts of glycogen stores. You can function and have plenty of energy on as low as 20-40g of carbs a day. Atkins induction phase says to keep under 20g fr 2 weeks. It definitely will put your body in ketosis which is when the liver runs out of glycogen and starts producing ketones to use for energy. This is what causes your body to use fat and glycerol as energy, it does not shrink your muscles lol.

I am not a doctor, but a huge information *kitten* and researcher. I've read a lot on the subject and decided that is the way to go for me to reduce fat, lower my blood glucose levels, and be healthy and live a long long time for my family.

I just started Monday and have lost 7 pounds and my bg has been below 130 consistently instead of 150 in the morning and 220 in the evening. When my bg is consistently around 100 and I have lost some more weight I will introduce a few more grams of carbs per day into my diet, those carbs will come frome fruit and veggies, I will probably never eat bread or sweets again the way I have in the past. They will only be for special occasions.

If you decide to go the route of lowering your carb intake, I suggest you read a FEW books not just 1, watch Fat Head the documentary, look for the big fat fiasco on youtube, and CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE INSULIN RESISTANT OR DIABETIC AND ON MEDS.

This!!

And just because I don't like exercise doesn't mean I am lazy. I am a very active person. I don't like "structured" exercise and I don't see the reason to get on a treadmill and run like crazy for an hour for six days a week just to watch my lean muscle mass disappear. I am low-carb because I decided to try it one day (not really low-carb but no grains, flours, sugars, legumes, milk and very limited fruit - this turns into low-carb). I dropped another 7lbs in six weeks; lost almost ALL my belly; I'm maintaining my muscle while still dropping body fat (with very little exercise); my anxiety is gone; I don't have to worry about calories; I don't have to weigh food, log food. Heck I can go a day and a half without food and never feel a moment of tired, weak or shaky. I have something high-carb - like a piece of fruit - and an hour later I'm shaking like a leaf and craving more food - preferrably more carbs.
    And yes the more exercise you do the more carbs you should probably eat. But just because I don't like structured exercise does not make my lazy. Where do I get the fuel for all my new found energy? From my fat stores and from the fat I eat. I'm not gaining weight. I'm not losing weight. But my body fat % is still dropping. I do a few basic strength moves once a week. I spend about 20 minutes on it. I sprint once in a while - also about 20 minutes a session. This frees up my life so I can spend time with my man, my pets and myself.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    You can't really eliminate carbs, at least not realistically. There are carbs in just about everything. But cutting down on carbs can help tremendously. It couldn't hurt to try for a few weeks. Maybe aim for about 100g per day.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member

"Low Carb dieting is the last resort for the lazy. Kicking *kitten* at exercise requires high-performance fuel, dammit!"

That is so condescending...there are many of us who were put on low carb diets because we have huge underlying health issues that have nothing to do with laziness. I am 57 years old with serious arthritis and pre-diabetes issues. My doctor put me on Atkins to help reduce inflammation and control my diabetes before it becomes a problem. I think when we lump everyone into judgemental statements we cease to be constructive and become abusive.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I tried Atkins and going "low carb". I am probably the only person who followed Atkins to the letter and gained 10lbs. It was awful. When I go low carb I have NO energy, my hair looks nasty, my skin gets greasy, I don't sleep well, I just feel ick. For me, low or no carb ISN'T the way to lose weight. It may work for some - but my body wants carbs.

You have to figure out what works for YOU and YOUR BODY. There are some people who can go low/no carb and do it for the rest of their lives with huge success. Other people simply can't (or won't) do it.
  • circusmom

Really? So I'm lazy? James Fell is just tring to sell his brand *kitten*.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member

You're only lazy if you think you are. I'm just sharing James Fell's opinion on the matter (which I happen to agree with). Take it for what it's worth.
  • circusmom

You're only lazy if you think you are. I'm just sharing James Fell's opinion on the matter (which I happen to agree with). Take it for what it's worth.
    Not Much!
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    I agree with everyone who's said find out what's best for YOU.

For me, personally, when I'm trying to lose weight I do much better when I eliminate bread, rice, pasta, cereals, potatoes etc from my diet and eat a lot of fish, lean meat, eggs and vegetables, with some nuts and fruit. I feel fine on this kind of food, and whilst I do miss foods psychologically, I don't get physical cravings. My dad is exactly the same. My mother, on the other hand, simply can't eat like this - it makes her feel crappy. It's all about what works for you :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i have found that through counting my calories and focusing on how much protien i am getting, i have reduced my carb intake without really trying. but i dont not eat carbs, it just usally works out that i have them in 2 of my 3 meals.

As lots of other people have said, you have to find what works for you with a bit of trial and error. good luck!
  • I try to get all my carbs from vegetables and fruit & a few whole grains. My body responds better without white stuff like breads, pasta, and potatoes.