frustrated!!

So back in September when I weighed myself at the doc I set my scale. Apparently its broken. I checked at my new gym and I feel frustrated that I'm actually at 169 and not 164... Five pounds may not seem like a big thing but since I had THOUGHT I just went from 167 to 164 in the last couple weeks I am really bummed to see that I actually weigh 169... maybe I should buy a scale that costs more than seven dollars...

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    So back in September when I weighed myself at the doc I set my scale. Apparently its broken. I checked at my new gym and I feel frustrated that I'm actually at 169 and not 164... Five pounds may not seem like a big thing but since I had THOUGHT I just went from 167 to 164 in the last couple weeks I am really bummed to see that I actually weigh 169... maybe I should buy a scale that costs more than seven dollars...
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    I find that it's most benefitial to use the same scale all the time. I have found that there's a difference between the scale at the gym, at the doc's and at home. Don't forget to factor in water weight, which can vary quite a bit. If I eat a lot of sodium the day before, I've been known to have a 4 to 5 pound gain, then it's gone again in about a day or 2. I would suggest weighing the same day and same time every week. For me, it works best 1st thing in the morning on Mondays and Fridays. I won't forget if it's the first thing I do on those 2 days.
  • Scales seem to always vary, and this has always been my experience (and I've experienced the frustration). I, too have been weighed at the doc's office, only to find it's different than at the gym, yet I go back to my gym the next day to find I'm on track. I would stick to one scale, and one scale only, otherwise you will continue to frustrate yourself. If you are going to use the scale at home, always use that as your reference, and forget about what your doctor's scale said (I know it's hard...5 pounds is important) unless you go back to your doctor, weigh yourself again, then go home and figure out what the difference is. Then I would just put it behind you, carry on and base your weight loss against the one scale you have the most access to (home or gym, not both). One other thing to remember... scales at gyms get used (and abused) a lot, so they may get out of balance faster than you think, unless it's a reputable place, and they maintain it (calibrate it), then it's iffy on it's accuracy. One way to test your home scale (or the gym one) is to weigh yourself, make a note of it, then pick up an object you know the weight of (say a 10lb dumbell) and weigh yourself again. If it goes up by the 10 lbs, you know it's working. Good luck!