Are protien powders nessesary?

Options
Hey guys, I have been having great results since I started calorie counting and working out the last few months. As a male I am strength training a ton to build muscles. So far it is working great I am building muscle faster than most my peers. I really am not following any specific weight training formula other than to train every muscle as much as I can each week.

On top of working out I have been using whey protien for the past few months, while my muscle size and strength has increased dramatically I am curious how much using protien suppliments are helping me. Most of you who have purchased protien suppliments and powders know they can be expensive and I as a frugle college student am begining to wonder if I am just throwing money down the drain. Although I clearly have gained results I was wondering if I really need the suppliments on top of working out?

Thank you,

-Julian, add me for daily tips!

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    hmm... I want to know too....
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Nope, not necessary. If you got the same amount of protein from regular whole foods, you would have had the same results.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not "money down the drain". Most Protein Powders are fantastic for fitness minded individuals. They are a great source of extra calories, BCAA's, Micro-nutrients, and of course, quickly digested Protein. Of course you could reach your goals without the support of Protein Powders, but they help tremendously if used correctly.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer getting my protein from whole food. However, often you may not be able to have access to food within the time (45 min after weight training) limit that benefit the muscle. Therefore protein supplement (powders or bars) comes really handy. I totally agree that it is pricey, that's why I use them when I have no other choice.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Protein is important. It does not matter if it's protein from steak,chicken, turkey, soy or from a shake.

Protein does help with building muscle since it's the building block of muscle. You cannot create new tissue without getting enough protein.

Protein powders are not required but protein is.

Protein powders just make getting the protein easier and sometimes cheaper.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It's actually better to get it from whole foods in weight loss terms because the more natural sources of protein (lean cuts of meat, etc.) burn calories to breakdown for your body to use, while most protein powders/shakes have protein that is already broken down. With that in mind however, I do like the taste of the powders, and it's a good sweet taste that isn't a bunch of empty carbs/sugars. Definitely good when you're having a day where hitting your protein goal is difficult.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Nope, not if you get your protein from whole foods. The key is to leave the buckets of protein on the shelf. The cheap stuff at Walmart is exactly that. No matter what the label says, they won't tell you most of the crap that goes into it.

Remember, stuff like this isn't regulated so they can put whatever they want in it and sell it for whatever they want. Pay a big name to "use it" and it's sold. If you can, stick to good, whole foods.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    It's actually better to get it from whole foods in weight loss terms because the more natural sources of protein (lean cuts of meat, etc.) burn calories to breakdown for your body to use, while most protein powders/shakes have protein that is already broken down. With that in mind however, I do like the taste of the powders, and it's a good sweet taste that isn't a bunch of empty carbs/sugars. Definitely good when you're having a day where hitting your protein goal is difficult.

Protein from powders and real food both require greater amounts of energy to breakdown than carbs and fat. TEF of powder and whole food protein is the same.
  • Kent_Wayne
    Kent_Wayne Posts: 21
    Options
    Protein powders contain heavy metals which are known to cause all sorts of illnesses. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Nope, not necessary. If you got the same amount of protein from regular whole foods, you would have had the same results.

I actually think if you are working in a calorie deficit (ie on a cut) whole foods have a small advantage over protein supplements. Simply speaking because your body has to work harder to extract the nutrients from whole foods then it increases the TEF (thermic effect of feeding) element of the energy balance equation. In other words a slightly greater deficit for doing nothing other than eating.

Having said that I use protein supplements myself for sheer convenience.
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    Protein powders contain heavy metals which are known to cause all sorts of illnesses. AVOID THEM AT ALL COSTS!

OMG YOU"RE ALL GONNA DIE!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

I was just drinking some....should I purge it out?
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

It's too late bro. It's too late.

See you in the afterlife!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Any timeline on this, you know, dying thing? I've been using them for well over 15 years so I might be cashing in my chips anytime soon.

Speaking of chips, I'm bloody starving now. Where did I leave my milk isolate powder?
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I prefer to EAT my protein, it takes from 8-16 hours to digest and use food sources of protein, protein shakes however pass through your system quickly and make for a poor protein source except right after your workout, but your body is lucky to use much more than 30g of protein in a dose if your working out naturally without the use of steroids...

I do occasionally mix whey with cytocarb for energy source during long workouts and sip on it... Needed? no I eat 200g of protein a day. Does it help? maybe.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

Nah - there's a cleanse for that. It involves high power colonics and snorting talc.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because Im a chick...but I like my protien to taste like cookies and cream :) Tired of chicken and fish

****goes to fill out will***
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

It's too late bro. It's too late.

See you in the afterlife!

Damn it. Then I have no choice but to start blending all of my whey protein bars into my whey protein shakes.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I think protein used properly can be beneficial I have noticed my hair and nail grow much quicker.

But not use properly can lead to ugly after match 9 months later (thats if your not ready for it)......:tongue:
  • liftingbro
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg