owie!

Options
So... I have no idea what I did to my arm at the gym. I was going along fine, did 15 minutes on the treadmill, incline 9%, then went and did 4 weight machines. Hopped on the rowing machine and did another 15 minutes, then another 4 weight machines. All fine still... Did a final 15 minutes on the elliptical, went to do the butterfly machine (I think that's what it's called) and my bicep hurt so bad I nearly cried. And the butterfly machine is supposed to work your pecs, right? Needless to say, it kind of boffed the end of my workout-- I skipped my last 4 machines, and didn't finish up on the bike like I wanted.

Came home, showered (could barely lift my arm to wash my hair), and now, 3 hours later, I would give anything to have someone chop my arm off with a meat cleaver. Will hunker in after dinner with a heating pad, hopefully not something too serious.

Tomorrow is my cardio day, so I'll just go on a machine that I don't use my arms on. I don't think it's as good of a workout, but what's a girl gonna do. Taking Saturday off because I'll be at a swim meet out of town, maybe by Sunday I'll be ok?

Replies

• pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    So... I have no idea what I did to my arm at the gym. I was going along fine, did 15 minutes on the treadmill, incline 9%, then went and did 4 weight machines. Hopped on the rowing machine and did another 15 minutes, then another 4 weight machines. All fine still... Did a final 15 minutes on the elliptical, went to do the butterfly machine (I think that's what it's called) and my bicep hurt so bad I nearly cried. And the butterfly machine is supposed to work your pecs, right? Needless to say, it kind of boffed the end of my workout-- I skipped my last 4 machines, and didn't finish up on the bike like I wanted.

Came home, showered (could barely lift my arm to wash my hair), and now, 3 hours later, I would give anything to have someone chop my arm off with a meat cleaver. Will hunker in after dinner with a heating pad, hopefully not something too serious.

Tomorrow is my cardio day, so I'll just go on a machine that I don't use my arms on. I don't think it's as good of a workout, but what's a girl gonna do. Taking Saturday off because I'll be at a swim meet out of town, maybe by Sunday I'll be ok?
  • tweety3
    tweety3 Posts: 118
    Options
    If its still that sore and swollen tomorrow you may want to consider calling your doc... my hubby tore his bicep muscle and that was NOT a pretty thing!! Good luck.. hope it gets better! I know what an injury can do to a routine!:flowerforyou:
  • Amylynn
    Amylynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You may have torn a muscle, pulled a muscle, or hyperextended a ligament. I would say that it would be best for you if you didn't try to exercise anymore until it feels all the way better. I rolled my ankle a while back playing volleyball. I waited only a week until it felt mostly better, then played again. Guess what happened...I rolled the same ankle a second time.:explode:

Don't push it too far.
  • imapearl
    Options
    Whether you've strained or torn a muscle, try icing it -- not heat -- for the first few days. 20 minutes on/off 'til bed. And, if you can take anti-inflammatories, do. Definitely should see a doc if not better by Monday! Best of luck!