very low vitamin d level

Options
i went to the doctor a few days ago and had my blood work done everything was normal but my vitimin d was way to low like 7.
my doctor said i should take 5000 iu of vitimin d3 everyday . does anyone else know what i can do to increase my d3 level.

Replies

• clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Your body naturally produces vitamin D when you are exposed to the sun. If you spend a lot of time indoors, that could be why. Also, oftentimes milk is fortified with vitamin D because you need vitamin D to help you absorb calcium.
  • chapagonzo
    chapagonzo Posts: 53
    Options
    I had the exact same problem. I took the 5000 mil a day as he prescribed. It brought my Vit D levels up to normal. I recommend following your doctor's advice. Once you are where you need to be, just take a daily dose of OTC.
  • dwa6388
    dwa6388 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have some vitamin d 5000 if you want to have some of mine
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    go out in the sunshine!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Did the doctor try to find out why you have low vitD? If he/she didn't then find a new doctor. I take 5000D3 daily and I now am in the normal range. I live in the desert and have my entire life, so I know I get plenty of sunshine. I have a non-functioning pituitary gland (who knew that little bean sized gland could cause so much trouble). I now see an endrinolgist that balances my system out with supplements for what I no longer can produce and I feel like a new person. Follow doctors advice, but find out why. Good luck!
  • vhjacobson
    vhjacobson Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I live in so Cal so plenty of sunshine; drink milk, love yogurt. I was also diagnosed with very low Vitamin D. Took (under doctor's order) 50,000 unit pill once a week for 16 weeks. Also take 2000 units per day. I think it must me a menopasal issue.