Potassium

Options
hikeout470
hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
I keep coming up WAY short on my daily recommendation for potassium and it seems proportionately off base compared to my other nutrients, anybody have any suggestions? I live in a very warm climate (100+ degrees going on 34 days now), and am concerned. My diary is open.

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary for ideas. You also may be getting more potassium than you think, it's not required on labels. I try to just balance my sodium and potassium, I don't try to hit the 3500mg mark that MFP suggests.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90 is another source for potassium rich foods
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue and another MFP user made a valid point. Potassium is not required to be listed on the nutrients label on foods. Some of your foods may have potassium in them and not have it listed so it doesn't show up. Unless you are getting muscle cramps, don't worry about it!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/potassium-rich-foods-chart.html

Here is a short list

What foods are high in potassium?
    Aside from the aforementioned cantaloupe, potassium rich foods include:
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Apricots
    Avocado
    Strawberries
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Chard
    Bell pepper
    Eggplant
    Squash
    Crimini mushrooms
    Brussels sprouts
    Turmeric
    Parsley
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tuna
    Halibut
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's right, you may be getting more than you think since it is not a required label. But, if you feel like you are short, eat some protein or milk product like yogurt. Also, beans are high in potassium too as are some fruits (avocados, bananas, apricots especially).If you are REALLY worried, take a supplement. DRA isi about 3500mg and anything over 18000mg is too much...it would be REALLY HARD to get 18000!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    The thing about potassium is that it is lost during processing. The more processing food goes through the less potassium there is in it. Fresh foods have MUCH more potassium than boxed foods. "Fast" food has the same problem.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You seem to have enough left over carbs, so here's my suggestion:
    buy 1 sweet potato
    wash 1 sweet potato
    wrap 1 sweet potato in saran wrap
    poke holes
    microwave for 5 - 7 minutes
    eat half of it and reserve the other half for tomorrw
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am getting enough muscle fatigue to think maybe this is an issue, and I am a very muscly person. Feeling it in the muscles more than I think I should with the increase in training... Like tonight, 24 hours after HIIT leaving work and filled my calories for the day already I felt a little ill. See me earlier HIIT post. Will try the sweet potato, and avocado. I love avocado! Tomorrow is a day off, will visit the health food store to see about supplementation.