Homeschool Advice- To Co-Op or Not??

abcerc
abcerc Posts: 58
edited 11:50AM in Chit-Chat
Hello! This is my first year homeschooling- my little one will be starting Kindergarten in a few days. I'm struggling with whether or not to join a local co-op. At the moment, I'm feeling a little clueless in the process, and everyone says it will get easier once I go through a year and figure out the homeschooling process. I'm wondering if a co-op would be helpful, or if it's too much the first year? I have my curriculum and we're signed up under an umbrella- so the co-op would be strictly a way to socialize and make connections. Any advice for someone in their first year? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    I never joined a co op, so I have no advice on that part for you. It may be a good thing if you don't know any other homeschooling families, or maybe you could just ask them for the name of someone who may be willing to be a mentor to you this year.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I don't have a clue but I congratulate you for homeschooling your child. :flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    I had a friend in high school who was home schooled, but she would take advanced band classes with me :) I think it was really good that she got to take some classes at a regular school to socialize. I'm not sure what a coop is as far as homeschooling goes, but hopefully this helps!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    i think it would be a good way to get the beneficial parts of a school, while still retaining all the benefits of homeschooling. Youd get the best of both worlds. I also think it would be good for YOU to meet other parents in the same situation to avoid feeling isolated over time x
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    our umbrella school was also a co-op, so that's what we did a couple times a month for the first few years. The extra support network is great to have, especially if you aren't yet really certain what you're doing. In retrospect, it was more beneficial for me to get together with other moms than it was for the kids to get together with other kids. Now we live in MI which doesn't require an umbrella, so we are not part of an organized co-op any longer. About the only potential con is that a co-op can be a *huge* time commitment, especially if you have to be in charge of classes or organize activities to participate, especially if you have to travel any distance. Many families are fine with that, and use co-op membership to great advantage.

But please don't buy into the whole "socialization" thing. Your child(ren) WILL be "socialized" with or without a co-op; it certainly isn't mandatory!
  • linemansgirl
    linemansgirl Posts: 152
    We did co-op the first few years, but we have chosen not to the last 4 years or so. It just became too much for us. My kids still interact with plenty of people at church and elsewhere.

I agree that you shouldn't buy into the "socialization" mentality.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I love using the co-op or our homeschool group activities. It is a wonderful way to enhance what you are already doing. As they get older the co-ops are a great way to give your kids the "extra" in areas you may be weak in.

D
    Homeschooler for over 20 years!
  • Favablue3
    Favablue3 Posts: 2
    There is really no need to join one. I am home schooled and get TONS of interaction with friends.

The best way I think to get healthy relationships with people is to have a small business ( like mowing lawns, helping elderly people, watering plants etc. ) and visit with the customers. We have been to elderly peoples house hundreds of times and even though they do little throughout the week they are just so excited to have someone to talk to. Also, inviting family's from church etc. over for dinner or large projects is really fun!

I do not think it is necessary to spend a majority of time with kids my same age either. You can learn SO many amazing things from people older than you ( history, politics, how people lived, etc). I have had some very special elderly friends die in the past 3 years. I am so glad I did not miss out on the opportunity of meeting them! They have helped shape my life a lot! And I really appreciate them. I would not have had the opportunity if my parents had made us too busy going here and going there always having us in the same age group. I do not think it is bad to have friends your own age, but I think having friends in all age groups is so much better!

With co-ops you may not find people you would really like spending a lot of time with plus they can take up a lot of time. I think meeting people while helping the community is best. Also, if you are blessed like me to have a lot of siblings you can work towards much bigger things that you would not be able to on your own or with friends ( because many of them are to far away or go to public school).

Thoughts from a homeschooler!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Another voice joining in--

I've homeschooled my kids since 1994-- and will be until my 3yo goes off to high school, Lord willing, in 2022. (wow-- that's depressing to see the number-- ha)

Seriously-- I hate homeschooling-- I really do. I love having my kids home. I know there's no other option, for all the social engineering takes place in the preschool, elementary and middle school levels-- no thanks.

But, I have no love of doing it-- it's a necessary evil.

Now...to your question-- I've done the homeschool groups. Never a co-op. You have to be careful in that setting, too, with the "socialization." Just because one homeschools their kids DOESN'T make their kids good friends for your children, nor the mothers good friends for you.

I found the pressure to socialize with all these people because we were in the same homeschool group, that I would not have normally associated with for various reasons. (same thing at churches-- but I digress)

Choose wisely, and stay involved and don't be afraid to pull your kid out of any homeschool activity if it doesn't smell right--
This discussion has been closed.