How many calories should a 280 woman eat each day to lose we

Options
How many calories should a 280 pound woman eat to lose weight.? 100 pounds in a year? Does anyone know? Also does exercise help? Walking 1 hour a day?

Replies

• dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Start with setting your calorie goal to 1350. And start walking.....work up to one hour each day. What kinds of food are you going to be eating? Do you need help making a menu? Congrats on taking a step to better your health! :flowerforyou:
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm over in Port Townsend, WA! Hi!
  • linemansgirl
    linemansgirl Posts: 152
    Options
    I would probably start out at 1500-1600 calories a day. Walking an hour a day will help tremendously! Good luck on your journey
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I'm over in Port Townsend, WA! Hi!

Hi neighbor!:drinker:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I would probably start out at 1500-1600 calories a day. Walking an hour a day will help tremendously! Good luck on your journey

This!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to set your goals and see what it tells you to eat. At 280 pounds, setting it at a 2 pound per week goal should still leave you plenty of calories every day. If you feel like that isn't enough to eat, scale back your weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week. If you fit in some walking every day, you can eat back those calories you burn, too. The more you move, the more you can eat.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Use MFP to set your goals and see what it tells you to eat. At 280 pounds, setting it at a 2 pound per week goal should still leave you plenty of calories every day. If you feel like that isn't enough to eat, scale back your weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week. If you fit in some walking every day, you can eat back those calories you burn, too. The more you move, the more you can eat.

OK! Thank you!!:smile:
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options

This!
    I started @ 1500 to lose 1.9 lbs per week. I am scaling it down for every 10 lbs lost. This has been working well so far.
  • meowmily
    meowmily Posts: 85
    Options
    my starting weight was 270, (5ft 9) and I eat 1,940. I was eating 1,500 but a trainer at my gym said that someone my weight naturally burns 2,000 cals a day just living my day to day life. I'm currently at 252 pounds and I've been losing an average of 1-2 pounds a week. It's important that you aren't eating too few calories or your body will go into starvation mode and you won't lose as much weight as you want to in the long run. As you lose weight you will need to decrease your cal intake.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I was 270 lbs and MFP gave me 1520 calories to loose 2 lbs a week. I used the calorie count that MFP gave me and recalculate everytime it asked me to. I've lost 30 lbs in 3 months and am down to 1420 calories a day. I do exercise 6-7 days a week for an 45-60 minutes and started to run about 4 weeks ago. I do weight training 3 days a week and run 3-4 days a week. I can now run 3.5 miles at a time, although it is pretty slow. But hey you have to start somewhere.

Way to go on taking that first step. You can do this, do not give up.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i am around 272lbs atm, and, before i adjusted my cal goal to have more cals, to lose 2lbs a week, MFP had me eating 1800 approx with a slightly active activity level. i have found since though that i am probably more active at work than i thought, so i have manually adjusted my cals a little higher. we larger people burn more cals naturally just cause it takes more for our bigger bodies to run as compared to someone who weighs less. any exercise is good exercise, but it isn't essential to lose weight, that comes from the cal deficit. exercise is to strengthen your body and keep your metabolism reved up and make you all around healthy.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    When I started MFP I was 270 lbs and MFP gave me 1520 calories to loose 2 lbs a week. I used the calorie count that MFP gave me and recalculate everytime it asked me to. I've lost 30 lbs in 3 months and am down to 1420 calories a day. I do exercise 6-7 days a week for an 45-60 minutes and started to run about 4 weeks ago. I do weight training 3 days a week and run 3-4 days a week. I can now run 3.5 miles at a time, although it is pretty slow. But hey you have to start somewhere.

Way to go on taking that first step. You can do this, do not give up.

Ok, Thank you!!:smile:
  • CaRaMelKiSSes514
    CaRaMelKiSSes514 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would like to know what kind of menus you can put together for me I have already lost 34 pounds but I think if I were to know what to eat i would lose more weight. Im on MFP username is lose402012. Thanks any advice would be helpful.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I get almost 1900 a day at 2 pounds losing a week for 250lbs. But I'm also on my feet about 9 hours a day walking almost constantly.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    yeah. baby steps. Go for 1800 a day and walking. Let MFP guide you! In the beginning, you just need to start making a deficit, and MFP will help you do that!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you plug your numbers into your profile, MFP will calculate it for you. It depends on your stats and how fast you want to lose weight.

Because you have a lot to lose, you might want to start at 2 pounds a week (the default is 1). One pound a week gives you a good, sustainable rate that you can maintain, with discipline, over the long haul. And it's the long haul that's important.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    Id say go over to scoobyworkshop.com put your numbers in and go with that and no more than a 15% cut . More than just your weight play a factor in weight loss. Your height, acitvity level. good luck!
  • jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i would say no more than 2500