Net calories question- Should I increase my calories???

Options
quick question- MFP says I should have 1200 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week. I am 5'0". I have been doing pretty well but now I have been at the same exact weight for a couple weeks-the exact!! How do I get it moving again? Should I increase my calories? For how long? it says my bmr is 1550. should i also change my protein, carbs, etc?? I lose more weight when i eat fewer carbs and sugar-I do well with more protein. What should I change those numbers too in order to get it moving again? I exercise about 3 times a week for 60 minutes each time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Do you eat back your exercise calories? I find generally when I plateau I have been eating too few net calories (700 - 800) and have to focus on eating all my exercise calories to NET1200 to start loosing again !
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary, so I can't offer any specific advice, but are you working out at all? If not, that would be a good way to get going again. Even just a walk during lunch time or after work would help.

If you're already doing cardio, are you doing strength training, too? If not, that's another good thing to add in. Building muscle will help you burn more calories and raise your BMR/calorie needs.

Also, if you've been losing weight steadily, have you revisited your required calories calculator recently? If you've been making a habit of being more active, but your calculation's still set for sedentary, it might be underestimating. Conversely, if you haven't recalculated since you started, then your BMR might be close enough to what MFP is telling you to eat that you've leveled out.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would start by eating back your exercise calories. If you already do that, try changing your weekly loss goal to 1/2 lb.

blessings.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest working more days per week and eating back the exercise calories. Surprise your body!