eat before or after working out?

Does it make a difference? I usually work out around dinner time (6pm or later) and was curious if it really makes a huge difference if i eat before or after i work out? may seem like a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to this! I usually do get a little hungry after i work out so i'll normally eat something small after anyways, but does it matter if i eat dinner before or after? thanks!

Replies

• spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    I think it's all about personal preference for this question. I can't eat much before I work out because it makes me feel sluggish and sick, but I do usually work out just before dinner time, so I make sure to have protein and some healthy carbs to repair muscles and give me energy. Again, though, do what feels best to you!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    I usually have a light snack that's high in carbs about an hour before my workouts, and then a light snack high in protein afterward. Especially when you lift weights you should have a lean protein within 30 minutes of finishing.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    I can't eat before I workout or I will throw up. So, I tend to make sure I've eaten at least 2 hours prior to going to the gym. I ALWAYS eat right after I'm done.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    Oh man! My friends were at the gym one day and there was a guy with a plastic bag of cookies eating them on the bicycles! ahahahaha!
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    @555

okaaaaaaaaaay....

that's just sad:grumble: lol
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Oh man! My friends were at the gym one day and there was a guy with a plastic bag of cookies eating them on the bicycles! ahahahaha!

LOL. My boyfriend is always saying he's going to buy an ice cream cone and eat it while walking on the treadmill -- just to see how people react to it.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    both :)
  • I would agree with others and say it depends on how your body works. I know personally I would need to eat SOMETHING before a workout or else I would crash halfway through and just have zero energy. When I used to run a lot every day in high school I would make sure to eat a good-sized healthy snack (a bowl of cottage cheese with fruit for example) and have lots of water and a protein bar after for muscle repair and replenishment. So try what works for you!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I think it's all about personal preference for this question. I can't eat much before I work out because it makes me feel sluggish and sick, but I do usually work out just before dinner time, so I make sure to have protein and some healthy carbs to repair muscles and give me energy. Again, though, do what feels best to you!

I agree....if I am STARVING I'll eat a granola bar or a banana or something before hand, but I can't eat anymore than that. I always get a side cramp when I am running if I ate too much, and I just feel full and like the food is sloshing around. yuck
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    I usually have a light snack that's high in carbs about an hour before my workouts, and then a light snack high in protein afterward. Especially when you lift weights you should have a lean protein within 30 minutes of finishing.

I agree. When I work out in the evening I skip "dinner" altogether. I'll eat something before & after. Before to fuel my workout, I normally do either a protein bar or toast with some peanut butter or a yogurt. Definitely need a little bit of carbs to get me going. When I'm in a rush I'll just grab coffee or drink like half of a smoothie. But I wouldn't eat righttt before the workout.. maybe 1 - 2 hrs before because otherwise it'll sit in your stomach and make working out not so fun. After I'll do my protein shake and some fruit or a protein shake and a bite or two of a real "dinner" if my families doing something with protein.
  • At my old gym there was this really petite girl who always...I mean ALWAYS was working out on the stair master eating a bag of potato chips...odd :)

But seriously, I eat about 2 hours before the gym and then have some carbs and a protein shake immediately afterwards. I heard that you have a 30 minute window after your workout to eat protein and carbs to give some recovery fuel to your body or it will start breaking down muscle for sugar, protein etc.

So as soon as I am done working out I have a protein shake, also when I have a high healthy carb intake prior to a workout (2 hours) I do better than when I don't.

Anyways...that's what I do.

Best.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    I would always eat a little protein like yogurt for example before a workout. Too much would make me feel heavy and not want to complete my workout, but not eating anything at all would make me feel sluggish and low energy. A friend told me to try eating a little protein before and that was just the thing! I also found I wasn't starving after my workout so I could still go home and cook a healthful meal instead of being tempted to splurge on something fast or go overboard with portions.