tips for pregnancy

Options
any fitness and nutrition tips? looking for all the help i can get to keep weight gain to a minimum :) thanks!

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    While I've never been pregnant, I do read the pregnancy magazines at my OB-GYN's office for future reference, and I recently had my OB nursing course.

The common theme: Stay active. Do what you can tolerate, don't push too hard. You will tire more easily, and you should take many breaks, but even if it's just walking every day until your third trimester when it can become uncomfortable.

All of this, of course, if it's not a complicated pregnancy.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    congratulations! I hope you'll get lots of responses. based on my own research into this topic, I think the current advice is to stay moderately active during your pregnancy at the level you're current exercising, but you may need to back off the duration or intensity if you're really hitting it hard. some exercises need modification i.e. yoga; walking is always good.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    While I've never been pregnant, I do read the pregnancy magazines at my OB-GYN's office for future reference, and I recently had my OB nursing course.

The common theme: Stay active. Do what you can tolerate, don't push too hard. You will tire more easily, and you should take many breaks, but even if it's just walking every day until your third trimester when it can become uncomfortable.

All of this, of course, if it's not a complicated pregnancy.

I should also add that you need 300 more calories per day to support your growing child (I'm probably feeding you information you already know here..), but keep a healthy medium. Eat too little, and you risk altering the healthy development of your baby; eat too much ("Eating for two" is BS..) and you put yourself at risk for gestational diabetes and preeclampsia.

In all honesty, consulting with your OB for some solid guidelines would be my top advice. Bring it up at your next appointment.

EDIT: And congratulations! :)
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    well, I have had four, the first two I ate whatever I craved and sat around all day and gained 80-90 lbs each, the second two I was older and into being healthy, I drank lots of water, ate whole grains, fruits and veggies and indulged a craving every once in a while. I walked every day until two weeks before and only gained 30 and 40 lbs. I couldn't stomach meat and protiens at all with the last two.