NOT a weight loss question...

Options
Ok, so i just had all four wisdom teeth removed at the same time, i have been afraid to touch the upper holes after the first couple days with my tongue but i just did, and it feels like there is only a tiny hole left to heal before they are completely healed and its literally been 3 1/2 days since the procedure... is this even possible?!

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. The last wisdom tooth I had extracted turned into a dry socket and STILL isn't completely closed - 5 months later. They say it will, but it is all screwy and will take time.

That being said, the first wisdom tooth I had out 6 years ago closed up within a few days, so I think it IS possible. They told me the top ones heal quicker than the bottom ones because of where the bottom ones are located (close to the jaw bone)
  • luminescence
    luminescence Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Well I got my wisdom teeth taken out a year ago and it still doesn't feel 'normal' because there's a scar and it will apparently never feel like it was before the surgery.

With that said, some people do heal fast and your mouth heals faster than anywhere else on your body because of bacteria, etc. I don't recommend touching it at all, even if you do think it's completely healed because it could screw over your body's healing process. Even if it may be healed, I don't think your stitches are gone yet which is more reason to not touch. I'd still give your body at least a month before considering you're completely healed.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Well. The last wisdom tooth I had extracted turned into a dry socket and STILL isn't completely closed - 5 months later. They say it will, but it is all screwy and will take time.

That being said, the first wisdom tooth I had out 6 years ago closed up within a few days, so I think it IS possible. They told me the top ones heal quicker than the bottom ones because of where the bottom ones are located (close to the jaw bone)

well as long as its happened to someone else, then at least i know im not going crazy. i also heard this about the bottom vs the top but i tell ya the bottom ones are well on their way to healing. i can actually see those ones and the gum is about half way there... didnt know i was such a quick healer, but hey maybe that means i can stop eating mushy foods sooner! woo hoo! :)

side note* LOVE the profile pic :)
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    Well I got my wisdom teeth taken out a year ago and it still doesn't feel 'normal' because there's a scar and it will apparently never feel like it was before the surgery.

With that said, some people do heal fast and your mouth heals faster than anywhere else on your body because of bacteria, etc. I don't recommend touching it at all, even if you do think it's completely healed because it could screw over your body's healing process. Even if it may be healed, I don't think your stitches are gone yet which is more reason to not touch. I'd still give your body at least a month before considering you're completely healed.

yea, i can feel where its healed over and it def feels different... sorta like what i imagine a scarred gum might feel like, a little smoother... but i never got stitches, i didnt need em... and i will def follow my care instructions like the dentist recommended (1-3 weeks) i just felt it for the first time and found it a bit odd how quickly mine were healing compared to some stories i had read, and i know everyones different but still...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I too had all of mine out at the same time. They all healed completely fine, but I had an incident with having to pick a lump of apple out of my jawbone with a toothpick during the early days. I don't recommend it.