Weekly meal planning

Options
Weekly meal planning = Same thing, every day.
Simple as that?

So I go shopping every two weeks and buy 14 days worth of food.

Last week I bought cottage cheese - hated it, but I am eating it anyways... next week I plan on buying yogurt.

So this is basically what a day worth of meals looks like for me:

Breakfast: Cottage cheese doubles (100 cals) plus a bowl of fruit
Snack: Fiber One bar (I look forward to this)
Lunch: Atkins Advantage Shake (I will buy Slim Fast next time, as Adkins shakes came out chunky this time... gross)
Dinner: Lean Cuisine (I know people say processed foods are bad for you, but I cannot/do not make my own meals...)

Will this work?
Any suggestions?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yeh but pretty boring,i thought i was bad with sticking to my routine of food but wow! :glasses:
  • bleujay
    bleujay Posts: 2
    Options
    your already doing really good. great job, as far as the diet, I would just suggest more vetetables. Let us know how it well it works for ya.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I've heard over and over that eating the same thing every dayyy, is bad. Your body neeeeeds diversity. Honestly your meal plan, it doesn't quite sound like enough food. I would definitely talk to a nutritionist.
  • JoelleMonique
    Options
    It may be fine in calories but your poor body will get bored and your weight loss will be minimal. What about fresh vegetables etc.
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    To me, it doesnt sound like enough food. Especially if youre going to be working out. Maybe add one or two more snacks and some veggies to your dinner. :smile:
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    I had a nutritionist while I was pregnant, and I learned a lot about how to eat right - Maybe I can add another meal in there with some veggies, perhaps a bowl of vegetable soup.
    And yes, it is boring... but I prefer sticking to a routine meal plan, rather than figuring it out on the spot... helps me stick to my goals.
  • tuskegee4
    tuskegee4 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Start slow, every month I eliminated or tried to, one bad eating habit. I started with a lot of frozen processed foods, but now I'm cooking most meals. Try to replace Slim Fast shake with smoothie, add protein, your favorite fruit. and almond milk or one of the Naked Juice flavors in dairy section. Greensmoothiegirl.com or eatingwell.com has some great smoothie recipes. START SLOW
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    It may be fine in calories but your poor body will get bored and your weight loss will be minimal. What about fresh vegetables etc.

I like what you have to say - a lot of people are mentioning adding veggies in...
    And it was never enough calories (I was off by like 500)...
    I have never been good with dieting. :[
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Weekly meal planning = Same thing, every day.
    Simple as that?

No, that's bad, as someone else pointed out. You need variety PHYSICALLY and (more important IMO - as you cannot lose weight if you don't have the will to do it) MENTALLY. It could work for you though, but for most people would not.
    So I go shopping every two weeks and buy 14 days worth of food.
    Last week I bought cottage cheese - hated it, but I am eating it anyways... next week I plan on buying yogurt.

I would buy a lot of frozen food if I had to shop every two weeks, veggies in particular. They come in all shapes and form.
    So this is basically what a day worth of meals looks like for me:

Breakfast: Cottage cheese doubles (100 cals) plus a bowl of fruit
    Snack: Fiber One bar (I look forward to this)
    Lunch: Atkins Advantage Shake (I will buy Slim Fast next time, as Adkins shakes came out chunky this time... gross)
    Dinner: Lean Cuisine (I know people say processed foods are bad for you, but I cannot/do not make my own meals...)

Will this work?
    Any suggestions?

It will work for losing weight... But it does not seem like a lot of food indeed. Not sure how many cals you end up eating with this.

Anyway, my advice would be: stick to your plan for now, but look at more variety in your meals in the future.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you are happy with it, then fine, but i would add some fruit and veg, maybe an apple with lunch, and 1 or 2 portions of veg with your Lean Cuisine?
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    1 or 2 portions of veg with your Lean Cuisine?

I am planning on buying more fresh fruit and veggies on my next shopping adventure.

Question: are canned veggies bad?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I use frozen veg a lot. obviously fresh is best, but if you dont shop that often then canned or frozen are way better than nothing! At the end of the day, you have to find what suits you and your lifestyle best so that you can stick to it long term.
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    Makes sense - and yah, frozen and canned will definitely suit me better.
    :] now I am more excited!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd get so bored eating exactly the same thing everyday !!!

My breakfast is usually pretty much the same each day (different cereal or toppings on toast though) but I do like a bit of varierty with my lunch and diiner.
  • chelle2u
    chelle2u Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I will defo work but will you be able to stick to it??!! For me this is about adopting a new lifestyle SOOOO I like to change the things I am eating it is surprising what you can fit into your calorie allowance. There are lots of great recipes out there!!

If it was me I would say be a bit more adventurous you will probably see better results and are more likely to succeed!!! I have tried soooo many different diets and it has suddenly hit me that because of the restrictions and lack of diversity I never managed to stick any of em.

Good luck xx
  • sineadgrowden
    Options
    maybe you could get some ideas off your friends on here?
  • MrsRazor7
    MrsRazor7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    That sounds low in calories, but it is kind of boring. You have to look at this as a life style change and journey, not a diet. Can you eat that food everday, for the rest of your life? I know I couldn't. If you don't eat things that you can eat and feel like you aren't losing anything, then you probably won't stick to it. Also, It sounds like a lot of processed foods. If you don't have a lot of time (like I do when school starts back), spend a Sunday night cooking up chicken, steak, fish, etc. I usually grill most of my meat because it is super healthy, fast, and yummy! I usually will cook all my meat and a bunch of veggies once a week. That way I have my lunches made and when I get home from work, I don't have to think about what to eat.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i plan my meals daily. and i always make sure i will enjoy every last bit :) put in a bit more effort to make it enjoyable or youre not going to stick to it.
  • msmith5251s
    Options
    I guess looking back at it - it does sound rather boring...
    So I have taken the advice of others and am adding veggies with dinner,
    and changing up my meals a bit every day (not too drastic).
    But to be honest, I actually do look forward to eating these foods.
    :]
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to do is have a base dish (like eggs or chicken) and add different other things to spice things up. Avocados are what I'm using right now. I had salsa with eggs this morning and I tried mushrooms with chicken the other week. It can add variety while still sticking to the more simple plan. :) Good luck!