cheat days?

Options
Do any of you have cheat days? If so, how often do you treat yourself to "cheat days"? (By cheat I don't mean binge but indulge... you know.. pizza, beer, burgers, chocolate)...

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I have foods I want everyday that are "treat" like (such as wine coolers, chocolate, pizza etc) just have to log it in and make sure it fits into your day.

I also have "treat" days or treat meals in which I usually go over in calories and the other stuff too, but not often since they affect me negatively now. When I was big, I'd cheat and lose a ton of weight now not so much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think of it as a 'treat' not a cheat as well. it depends what i am doing socially, but i usually have 1 or 2 meals a week. for example today we are having fish & chips at lunch and going drinking after work. So thats my treat for this week. I will be over my cals, but i will just enjoy myself, and go for a run tomorrow.
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    I don't have "cheat day" but, if I go out to dinner I order sinsibly, and don't get mad at myself for going over because of a cocktail or two. Also on the weekends I know I am going to be hanging with friends and haveing cocktails. I just try to be good as much as I can and not stress myself out over the calories in my cocktails. Good times with my friends are worth it! I try to limit it to weekends but sometimes things pop up!:drinker: :drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker::drinker::drinker: :drinker: :drinker::drinker:
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I cheated twice last week...once for my mom's birthday, once just because. These were my first real cheat days in the two months I've been using MFP (previously I'd "cheat" but then get all weirded out by the red numbers and do some late-night elliptical to burn it off). I hadn't lost much weight in a while and since then I've lost almost a pound. I've also switched up to a higher calorie goal. I think my metabolism actually had slowed down...not really starvation mode, but just a more conservative burn. Now I'm less hungry and feel more thin. Definitely going to be having cheat days more often. But that being said, I think it's better to save them for special occasions. A lot of my friends and family have birthdays around now so I'll be doing it for them, not so much just one a week or whatever.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I never 'cheat', this is real life. I eat/drink what I want when I want and try to fit it in my calories for the day. If I know I will be going out I just try to do an extra workout or workout longer.
  • sonjalucia
    sonjalucia Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Cheat Meal versus Cheat Day.....

It's not so much the caloric intake that might set you off course, but more so the longterm effects of it.... It teaches your brain to gorge for a full day. Many people can't stop at just one day, and if they do manage, it sets a gloomy mood for a few days.

If you can moderately have some sweet or salty treats, and find the balance - you will do so the rest of your lives..

The hardest part for me in this whole thing is the maintenance, anyone else have that issue?
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I don't go out to restaurants very often. I just mean that most meals at restaurants that I'd WANT to order are over my caloric intake for the entire day, and if its a special occasion it'd be nice to every once in a while order something like that. I can't imagine never being able to order a plate of pasta at an italian restaurant or a burger and fries or a few slices of pizza and a beer EVER AGAIN. There has to be those days every once in a while.