Options
2»

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    FrenchMob wrote: »
    oooh....the idea of passing a small amount of electricity through your body sounds scary. what if something goes wrong?
    oh well, i guess i'll get over it...... does anyone else think this idea is scary?
    Mine runs off a 9V battery - I'm not concerned.

So does my 750,000 stungun
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    wattiskeep is correct. Water percentage is driven by body composition. Fat contains far less water than muscle, so the higher your body fat level, the lower your water percentage will be. To increase your water percentage, you have to decrease the ratio of fat to muscle (lower fat/higher muscle) and only then will that reading change (assuming a proper state of hydration). The water percentage is only of several measures that allows you to determine how relatively well your training/weight loss/other regimen is working. Although the numbers may not be 100% accurate, they can tell how you are doing, i.e. if body fat is dropping, water percentage is increasing and muscle mass is rising, you can know with some assurances that you're trending in the right direction.
  • lmflkf
    lmflkf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    wattiskeep is correct. Water percentage is driven by body composition. Fat contains far less water than muscle, so the higher your body fat level, the lower your water percentage will be. To increase your water percentage, you have to decrease the ratio of fat to muscle (lower fat/higher muscle) and only then will that reading change (assuming a proper state of hydration). The water percentage is only of several measures that allows you to determine how relatively well your training/weight loss/other regimen is working. Although the numbers may not be 100% accurate, they can tell how you are doing, i.e. if body fat is dropping, water percentage is increasing and muscle mass is rising, you can know with some assurances that you're trending in the right direction.
    (my italics)

thanks, pipergirl08! I've been tracking fat percentage for a while but not water until very recently - I had read the machines are to be taken w a grain of salt ( ;) ) but I hadn't thought to use it as a trend pattern rather than an absolute