Bad Guilt??

Hi there, I am trying to stick to a 1400 calorie diet and most of the time I fall into this category - it has taken a huge shift in attitudes and eating behaviours to stick to this but it's been a good thing. However, I have days (like everyone) where I struggle and eat a bit more. Today we had a morning tea at work and I had a couple of things - though still no where near as much as I used to have, and I also didn't drink at the end of month drinks... but I still feel bad for coming in over the 1400. How do you beat the guilt and stay motivated, whilst still not missing on social gatherings that revolve around food? I know it's not the end of the world - but I still feel guilty.

Replies

• editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    You always beat your guilt with exercise and that will make you feel motivated and a lot better.....................

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i agree, just up your workout a little so that you still net 1400 then no harm done!
  • shayshay10
    shayshay10 Posts: 12
    I always feel guilty when I go over!!!
    I have found when I have social events on where there is food envolved I try to get something really healthy like a salad or fish and usually ask for all sauce on the side, even if you get grilled chicken or something and it comes with chips ask for salad! But I guess it's easier said than done when everyone around you is probably scoffing away at something you would LOVE to eat! I just have to keep thinking that I made myself like this because I ate really badly and now it was time for a little punishment lol its not about completely cutting EVERYTHING out its just making sure that if you do have something bad that you stay positive and always remember tomorrow is another day and that if you ate badly the day before you eat healthy and exercise the next day......plus to stay motivated come on here and look at all the success stories! that will easily help you to keep on track!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Don't feel guilty.

Call it a spike day to keep your metabolism on its toes!
  • alexhaigh
    alexhaigh Posts: 1
    I have been over my 1200 calories almost everday this week and I feel terrible. I am trying to stop smoking and finding that when I get a craving I am eating whatever I can get my hands on!!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    I have been over my 1200 calories almost everday this week and I feel terrible. I am trying to stop smoking and finding that when I get a craving I am eating whatever I can get my hands on!!

I haven't lost a single lb since I stopped smoking :sad: however I haven't gained any weight either :bigsmile:

On the whole I think it's better to gain a bit of weight but be a non smoker!
  • weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    I see MFP as a lifestyle change not a diet and If I cut out all food all the time I would fail so on social occasions I 'let' myself have a bit of what I want (not a massive portion mind) and I don't feel deprived.

I have my usual breakfasts,lunches and dinners that I choose from and my lowest of each (crunchy nut cheerios - breakfast, salad - lunch and couscous& veg - dinner) are my 'fallbacks' so if I know in advance that I'm going out for lunch then I'll have my low breakfast and low dinner that day to even it out.

If I'm having A bad time staying under like I did last week (as i couldnt get to the gym) then I up my calorie intake to my maintanence level and don't worry about not losing, just as long as I don't gain.

And as someone else mentioned - up your exercise to earn more calories.

I'm going to a BBQ tomorrow night, I'm having a low cal breakfast, an ok lunch and have already put into my diary what I'm having, which leaves me 800cals for dinner and snacks and I'll go to the gym and aim to burn 400cals which should give me 1200 cals for the BBQ and any snacks which hopefully should be more than enough

Planning is key for me - good luck and I hope this helps.