Are gyms worth the monthly membership costs??

Options
2»

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    It's only worth the money if you actually USE it! My gym membership is worth every penny. I would do without other things if I had to in order to keep it!

This is true for me too. No matter the weather outside, I can get my exercise in. Love my classes along with my weights and treadmill. And it doesn't allow "life" in my house to interrupt my workout.
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    Some gyms are, and some aren't. Look for a gym where you can at least get a little bit of training on how to work out, because wandering about the gym just using machines according to the pictures of the muscle groups (or just walking on the treadmill for hours) really limits the progress you can make.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    A few months back, I was like you, and completely undecided whether I would use a gym or not.

I went into one near me, and was told that they all offer a 1 week trial for free. I tried working out on my own, and I didn't find I was motivated enough. Then I tried a few classes, and fell in love! Maybe see if you can try it out before committing??
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    like another poster said, its only worth it if you use it. I use it atleast 4 times a week, and it has child care while you work out so i get some "me" time. so for me YES its worth it!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    Some gyms are, and some aren't. Look for a gym where you can at least get a little bit of training on how to work out, because wandering about the gym just using machines according to the pictures of the muscle groups (or just walking on the treadmill for hours) really limits the progress you can make.
    our gym has an 8 week program to introduce you to a full body work out that you "graduate" from. they are VERY good about making sure you know what your doing.
  • Moonlight17
    Moonlight17 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Price wise it is worth it! And as many have said before it is more than worth it if you make the most outta the gym and workout properly.

But gym is not for everyone and I've lost weight very well with fitness DVDs and turbo jam/fire DVDs as well as the Jillian Michaels range and P90x in the comfort of my own living room. And when the weather is good I go out for jogs :) x
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have never been to the gym, i run round the park, have some dvds and a stepper at home which work just fine for me & my exercise needs.

Each to their own!