Target zone

Options
Ok, I read the thread about how to get your maximum heart rate, and figuring your target zones. My question is this: Now that I know that the low end of my target zone is 92, and the high end is 156...how do I check my heart rate while working out to be sure Im in my zone? I dont have an HRM yet, and Im sure thats the best and easiest way...but I know theres a way to check your pulse and multiply or divide it by something while your working out, I just cant remember how to do it...I remember something from when I joined curves a couple years ago about taking your pulse for 10 seconds and then doing something (multiplying it?)? Anyone know how to do this without an HRM?

~Roni

Replies

• Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Ok, I read the thread about how to get your maximum heart rate, and figuring your target zones. My question is this: Now that I know that the low end of my target zone is 92, and the high end is 156...how do I check my heart rate while working out to be sure Im in my zone? I dont have an HRM yet, and Im sure thats the best and easiest way...but I know theres a way to check your pulse and multiply or divide it by something while your working out, I just cant remember how to do it...I remember something from when I joined curves a couple years ago about taking your pulse for 10 seconds and then doing something (multiplying it?)? Anyone know how to do this without an HRM?

~Roni
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    well.. you want to know what your heart rate for 1 minute

so if you take your heart rate for 10 seconde.. you want to multiply that by 6
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Or, count your beats for six seconds and add a zero
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    you can also gauge your "zone" on a talk test. If you can carry on a conversation during your workout and feel comfortable doing so, you're at your lower end of the zone. If you can talk in short sentences, but unable to really carry on a conversation you're middle, and if you're only able to talk in short bursts, or don't want to talk at all because you're breathing hard, you're at the top end of the "cardio" zone.

Easy way to gauge it (and inexpensive) :tongue:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help all!!:flowerforyou: Great advice as always:heart:

~Roni
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this myself yesterday - cause the machine I was on at the gym kept telling me to slow down to reduce my heartrate, but I felt completely fine while working out - could still talk, etc.
    So last night I counted my RHR which was 56 bpm and found a website that calculated based on my weight and age and RHR what my THR should be, which was 146-170, which makes sense as I was around 155 last night!