weight loss suggestions please

Options
Okay. A bit of back ground.

I am 6' 3". At the beginning of this year i weighed 235. Now i weigh 198. Ive been around 200 for the past 5 months or so. I am planning on marrying my girlfriend next year :D

Questions...

So ive been working out 3-6 times a week since Aug. I lift weights and do at least a half hour of cardio. Ive gotten stronger. My arms and chest are getting more cut. But for the life of me, i CANT get rid of my stomach and love handles! :( I try to eat healthy and not overeat or under-eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or do you think i just need to give it more time or effort??

Replies

• derekbickmore
    Options
    Okay. A bit of back ground.

I am 6' 3". At the beginning of this year i weighed 235. Now i weigh 198. Ive been around 200 for the past 5 months or so. I am planning on marrying my girlfriend next year :D

Questions...

So ive been working out 3-6 times a week since Aug. I lift weights and do at least a half hour of cardio. Ive gotten stronger. My arms and chest are getting more cut. But for the life of me, i CANT get rid of my stomach and love handles! :( I try to eat healthy and not overeat or under-eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions? or do you think i just need to give it more time or effort??
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    same as women, you can't spot reduce. You are still at the higher end of the BMI index, so maybe you need to lose a little more and now it will come off the middle. While you do that make sure you are working your abs so they will look great when they are revealed. Just an opinion. If you want to stay that weight, you will probably have to up your strength training, build some more muscle that will burn some more fat.

It takes time.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Ahhh unfortunately the only way to lose fat is cardio, wheights increase muscle mass which is good, and the cardio you're doing is awesome, but unless you're eating at a deficit you still won't lose weight (fat) Tell MFP how much you'd like to lose in your goals section and it will calculate a healthy defitcit for you. Also, if you are building muscle, your metabolism will increase, thus you will burn more. Probably the best thing you can do if watch your calories to ensure you're not OVEReating. Keep exercising as you are. The tummy fat may be the last thing to go. Also, be sure that it's fat and not excess skin. If you've lost a significant amount of weight off your belly you may have some extra skin that can have the appearance of flab. Lots of us have that in different areas. Good luck new buddy! :drinker:
  • suselmiami
    Options
    About two years ago I purchased the Michael Thurmond plan and it worked great. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off for a while. I then went back to eating junk food and balloned to 200 pounds. I srtarted again today ... it really works. Here it is in case you are interested. You might want to add a little bit more of protein since you are a male. Ohh! And I've heard that circuit training and spinning are great.

Breakfast:
    Lean Protein (2 oz)
    Fruit (1/2 Cup)

Mid-Morning Snack:
    Lean Protein (2 oz)
    Fruit (1/2 Cup)

Lunch:
    Lean Protein (2 oz)
    Complex Carb (1/2 Cup)
    Salad (1 Cup)

Mid-Afternoon Snack:
    Lean Protein (2 oz)
    Complex Carb (1/2 Cup)

Dinner:
    Lean Protein (2 oz)
    Salad (1 Cup)

Night Snack:
    Salad (1 Cup)

Ohhh! Very important ... you can't cook with salt and you have to drink lots of H2O.

Best of luck.

Susel
  • mpf1118
    Options
    The Michael Thurmond eating plan....

I've never heard of that.....it works well??? Does he have a book out?