MFP Runner's Club for Friday, November 14

Options
I did day 5 of "MTC" this morning and will run 4-6 this afternoon, hope it doesn't start raining, or snowing, the weather keeps changing, so I never know. So far it looks like it's going to stay in the mid 30's, little sun :frown:

Anyone else running today, and what are you weather conditions?

Replies

• Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did day 5 of "MTC" this morning and will run 4-6 this afternoon, hope it doesn't start raining, or snowing, the weather keeps changing, so I never know. So far it looks like it's going to stay in the mid 30's, little sun :frown:

Anyone else running today, and what are you weather conditions?
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    It's sunny and about 80 here :tongue:
    Actually, it's supposed to cool off a bit over the weekend (hopefully) since I have 15 miles planned tomorrow. Recovery day today - just some yoga stretching.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Sunny here! All of our snow melted!

I have yet another question! What is considered running? Whats the difference between running and jogging?
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    there is a difference ?? crap.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I have yet another question! What is considered running? Whats the difference between running and jogging?
    I read an article a few years ago explaining the difference. (supposedly there are 'serious runners' who get offended by being called 'a jogger'). Aside from the obvious question of pace (joggers tend to be 'slow' , runners may (or may not) be faster), it is sort of a mind -set thing. If you bought the light blue running shoes because they match you favorite running outfit, you may be a jogger. If you only run when the weather is good, you may be a jogger. If you have no set pace in mind, but don't the flowers in the park look nice, you may be a jogger. A runner buys the shoes after the running consultant at the store matches them to your stride/ running mechanics. A runner is out there in the rain and sleet because 'you have to get that long run in before the race'. Worst case scenario, you head to the gym to hit the treadmill because running outdoors is impossible. A runner has a plan for each run (pace/distance/etc)
  • allaboutme
    Options
    runnerdad, it sounds like are you saying runners are obsessive and joggers actually enjoy it?? :laugh: :bigsmile:

I feel better then, I am a jogger. :wink: ( just teasing)
  • Angiebangie
    Options
    Runners are wild, joggers are runners who have been domesticated!!! :tongue: :wink:

Many people have tried to identify the precise point at which running becomes jogging and vice versa. Some contend it's 7-minute miles. Others say 55% VO2 Max. But it's not about any of that. Ultramarathoners don't run very fast, but they sure as hell run. The truth is, the line between running and jogging is different for every person. And every person knows just what it is for them. It's all about feel. If it feels like something you would do on a treadmill or at the helm of a tricked-out baby stroller, you're probably jogging. If it feels like something that might make other people nervous, you're running. And if you're ever in doubt, you can always err on the side of running by going a little faster. Run like an animal.

That's a Pearl Izumi add I have on my running collage.
  • Angiebangie
    Options
    Oh, and I just ran 4 miles, definitely ran, didn't jog :tongue: :wink:
  • allaboutme
    Options
    my hat is off to you, I don't beleive I will ever be a runner, I will stick to jogging :) I know I can do that.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers! :smile: I start monday training to run 5k by january 12th. thats the day I run! :smile:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    It's kind of funny, I never thought of myself as a 'runner', even after doing my first marathon. One day, I had a client ask if I was 'a runner' because I was ' so thin for someone my age' (How's that for a backhanded compliment?) When I said 'not really', she asked how far I was running every week, and when I said 25-30 miles, she laughed and said, 'face it, you're a runner!'
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 today. It was rough for me to force myself to do it! I was procrastinating all morning. I'm so glad I got off my booty. Here's to the weekend!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I RAN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWO WEEKS TODAY!!!

And it sucked, but was great at the same time! :laugh:

My form felt off and my legs felt like lead because I haven't been eating properly for the past two weeks (last week I barely ate at all). I only did 1 mile, just to the gym and back, but it was a great workout all around. I did a bit of circuit training for chest and back, then a bit of ab work. I didn't go to failure because I have to ease back into things but I felt like a million bucks when I got back home. :bigsmile: And no abdominal pain, woohoo!
  • gmpearse
    gmpearse Posts: 136
    Options
    Ok, with all you "runners" out there be kind but this jogger just did 2 miles continuously without stopping or dying for the first time ever. Strange, but I kind of like it.:tongue:
  • Angiebangie
    Options
    Ok, with all you "runners" out there be kind but this jogger just did 2 miles continuously without stopping or dying for the first time ever. Strange, but I kind of like it.:tongue:

Great job! 2 miles is fantastic, and you know what? It only gets better! :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. I did Turbo Jam instead, Total Body Blast. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow, so we'll run then. I think around 5 miles. :wink:

Great job everyone!

Jess