C25K - Aiming for 10K

Options
I'm thinking of signing up to my first 10k race on 15th October to give me something to aim for!

I am just moving into week 6 of C25K, so do you think it realistic to think I could finish the next training program and run 10k by mid October? I was planning on following a 'bridge to 10k' program.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• OneBryteSmile
    OneBryteSmile Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. You can do anything you set your mind to. :smile:
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Yes.

I did start running until mid May of this year....I was 220lbs and had never run before in my life.

I didn't follow a training program, I didn't follow a guideline, I just ran.

June 16th I ran a 3.4 Mile Trail race.
    July 4th I ran a 10k called Conquer the Hill.

Yes...it's easy to do....if you want to run all 6.2 miles might be a different story....but I usually run intervals, just now getting into running full distances...I'm up to 7 miles currently, and that's in just over 2.5 months.

My first 1/2 Marathon is on October 22nd.

So again...yeah, it's possible.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Thank you, wasnt sure if I was craming in the training and being over ambitious?
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I finished the C25k in June and I have signed up for a half Marathon in November. After I completed the program, the following week I ran 6 miles. I did a lot more walking during the program, like 4-5 more miles. That may have helped build my endurance a bit more, but for sure you will be able to do it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Once you get past week 9, your going to be surprised.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Once you get past week 9, your going to be surprised.

I finish week 9 in 3 weeks time which leaves me about 1.5 months to train for 10K. So do you think its do-able?
  • traviscolby
    Options
    Yes you can! It may seem impossible now (just as it was for me when I was in your spot a year ago) but you CAN run a 10K and you will love the journey. I kept going after that through half marathons, marathons, and now training for an Ironman, all thinggs that once felt impossible but are achieveable.

There are some physiological concerns once you start running farther than 5K's, all of which can be taken care of with the right equipment. If you are transitioning from a 5K to a 10K, I would suggest gettign a few good pairs of runnign socks (with anti-blister material like cool max in them), make sure you have a good pair of running shoes (best to get a free fitting at a running store), get a water carrier to carry some fluids with you, and and talk to other runners about what clothing to wear to avoid friction issues.

Good luck - you can run a 10K!

-Travis Colby
    http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Yes.

I did start running until mid May of this year....I was 220lbs and had never run before in my life.

I didn't follow a training program, I didn't follow a guideline, I just ran.

June 16th I ran a 3.4 Mile Trail race.
    July 4th I ran a 10k called Conquer the Hill.

Yes...it's easy to do....if you want to run all 6.2 miles might be a different story....but I usually run intervals, just now getting into running full distances...I'm up to 7 miles currently, and that's in just over 2.5 months.

My first 1/2 Marathon is on October 22nd.

So again...yeah, it's possible.

Well done you! Very inspiring! So I have around 1.5 months (after I finish C25K) to train for 10k, hmmmmm think I will give it a go :)
  • missphoenix
    Options
    Yes you can! It may seem impossible now (just as it was for me when I was in your spot a year ago) but you CAN run a 10K and you will love the journey. I kept going after that through half marathons, marathons, and now training for an Ironman, all thinggs that once felt impossible but are achieveable.

There are some physiological concerns once you start running farther than 5K's, all of which can be taken care of with the right equipment. If you are transitioning from a 5K to a 10K, I would suggest gettign a few good pairs of runnign socks (with anti-blister material like cool max in them), make sure you have a good pair of running shoes (best to get a free fitting at a running store), get a water carrier to carry some fluids with you, and and talk to other runners about what clothing to wear to avoid friction issues.

Good luck - you can run a 10K!

-Travis Colby
    http://finallyairborne.blogspot.com

Thank you! Very good advice!!
    I invested in some new running shoes last week and got properly fitted out, which made a great difference to my running. Def want to give it a try but didnt wanted to be realistic too! Well done to you by the way, you have done an amazing amount of races and marathons!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I just read the week 6 of C25K program. How many miles is your longest run right now? If you haven't run one mile yet, I would be a little concerned about signing up just yet for that 10K in October. On the other hand, Im not saying it couldn't be done but mid-Oct is only 11-12 weeks away. So if you set up a schedule to get to the point where you are close to running the 10K, it might look like this: working your way backwards, eg, Week 11 (week before race) = 6 miles; Week 10 = 5.5 miles; week 9 = 5 miles; Week 8 = 4.5 miles; Week 7 = 4 miles; Week 6 = 3.6 miles; Week 5 = 3.3 miles; Week 4 = 3 miles; Week 3 = 2.75 miles; Week 2 = 2.5 miles; Week 1 = 2.25 miles .... You can be more aggressive in your mileage increases, but it depends on your body. I think that it depends on how many miles you can run now and how fast you can increase.
  • missphoenix
    Options
    I just read the week 6 of C25K program. How many miles is your longest run right now? If you haven't run one mile yet, I would be a little concerned about signing up just yet for that 10K in October. On the other hand, Im not saying it couldn't be done but mid-Oct is only 11-12 weeks away. So if you set up a schedule to get to the point where you are close to running the 10K, it might look like this: working your way backwards, eg, Week 11 (week before race) = 6 miles; Week 10 = 5.5 miles; week 9 = 5 miles; Week 8 = 4.5 miles; Week 7 = 4 miles; Week 6 = 3.6 miles; Week 5 = 3.3 miles; Week 4 = 3 miles; Week 3 = 2.75 miles; Week 2 = 2.5 miles; Week 1 = 2.25 miles .... You can be more aggressive in your mileage increases, but it depends on your body. I think that it depends on how many miles you can run now and how fast you can increase.

By the end of the 5k program I would be able to run 3.1 Miles. I complete this in 3 weeks. Currently I must of run well over 1 mile (around 2-2.5 miles), so looking at your schedule it looks do-able. Thank you :)
  • fruitloops313
    fruitloops313 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I finished the C25k in June and I have signed up for a half Marathon in November. After I completed the program, the following week I ran 6 miles. I did a lot more walking during the program, like 4-5 more miles. That may have helped build my endurance a bit more, but for sure you will be able to do it.

would that be the Rock and Roll marathon in Savannah ?????
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options

would that be the Rock and Roll marathon in Savannah ?????

Why yes it is!! :happy:
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

By the end of the 5k program I would be able to run 3.1 Miles. I complete this in 3 weeks. Currently I must of run well over 1 mile (around 2-2.5 miles), so looking at your schedule it looks do-able. Thank you :)

Excellent!! Then sign up and enjoy the training!! Races always inspire me to push a little more in my running/training.