whey protein powder

Options
I decided to try the whey protein powder from wal mart (six star professional strength, chocolate) to up my protein intake. I mix it with skim milk and eat either yogurt or a piece of fruit with it for breakfast in the mornings on my way to work. I was wondering how many times I day I should have this though (the protein powder) because on the directions it says to use it a few times a day. Being a girl I don't want to bulk up or build too much muscle, which is why I am concerned about how often I should have it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Drinking Protein shakes doesn't magically make you (or anyone for that matter) build muscle or bulk up.

It's simply a replacement supplement for people who may not get enough protein in their average diet.

You work it in to your meal plan the same as anything else.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Take 1 scoop in morning and 1 scoop at another time in the day. you will NEVER look like ARNOLD SCWZENEGGER EVER! That would require one to lift 5-6 times a week twice a day for two to three years, eat tailored made food and extra special supplements that you are not taking. So, if you exercise 2-3-4 times a week for 30 min. & eat healthy and take some whey...you will be OK.
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I decided to try the whey protein powder from wal mart (six star professional strength, chocolate) to up my protein intake. I mix it with skim milk and eat either yogurt or a piece of fruit with it for breakfast in the mornings on my way to work. I was wondering how many times I day I should have this though (the protein powder) because on the directions it says to use it a few times a day. Being a girl I don't want to bulk up or build too much muscle, which is why I am concerned about how often I should have it. Any suggestions?

If you dont want to bulk up and just want it for the purposes of literally being a supplement, I would only take it once per day. To be perfectly honest though, I dont think you would have to worry about "bulking up" though as, (AND HERE IS THE BITTER TRUTH PEOPLE) most people only add around 5 pounds of muscle per year with very intense strength training programs....that is if they are doing it naturally without the assistance of HGH, Steorids, or other performance enhancers.

Also, if you are dieting (a.k.a not taking in an adequate amount of calories), I really wouldn't worry about bulking up at all, its really just not going to happen.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I just bought some yesterday (Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard) for the reason that I seriously just can't get enough protein any other way! I can't stay at my calorie goal and get enough protein (and also get in all my fruits/veggies/carbs etc). I plan to have one serving (24g protein) in a glass of milk (9g protein) after working out. Not planning to have it more than once a day though.