Does muscle really weight more than fat?

Options

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm experiencing deja vous.... again.
    On MFP? Never. Reminds me, I think I saw a topic about eating your exercise calories...haven't heard about that yet, I need to check it out...
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    FYI I have resorted to copy and pasting my same reply when this topic comes up. The answer is yes, muscle weighs more than fat, and here is why.

Weight is a measure of force (so technically it is measured in newtons), specifically the force gravity has on an object. Whereas, mass is a measure of how much matter an object has (measured in mg, g, kg, etc…). Mass is constant, weight is variable (granted I think all of us are on Earth). I think we can agree on all of this, at least I hope so.

Furthermore, in order to compare two objects scientifically, you need to have both a constant and a variable. Saying that 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle is a given because you are only comparing the two constants and ignoring the variable. That is no different than me saying that 100 calories of butter is that same as 100 calories of lettuce, however the quantities of both will differ. So when someone says that muscle weighs more or has more mass than fat it should be assumed that we are not referring to the two obvious constants alone, but are referring to their weights as a variable with respect to a constant volume.

Additionally, when you refer to density you are, by definition, referring to mass and volume simultaneously since density = mass/volume. You cannot know a specific density without knowing both the mass and volume of an object.

So to see how mass volume and density all relate simply think of the following equation and you will never have to question this again.

Weight = (Density x Volume) x Gravity

So how does this formula help? Simple; gravity is constant because we are all on Earth, so if we hold volume constant, and we all agree that muscle is denser than fat, then the outcome is an increased weight.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont care if its muscle or fat,because when you are trying to dispose of the evediance its heavy either way:grumble:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I dont care if its muscle or fat,because when you are trying to dispose of the evediance its heavy either way:grumble:

This is an excellent point.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just water retention so that your muscles can repair themselves....it'll go away. And a pound of muscle and pound of fat both weigh a pound, but a pound of fat is larger (occupies more space) than a pound of fat.

fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm experiencing deja vous.... again.
    On MFP? Never. Reminds me, I think I saw a topic about eating your exercise calories...haven't heard about that yet, I need to check it out...

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer a few weeks ago. My first week i lost 3-1/2#'s, now this week he has been working me really hard strength training and I show i'm up 2#'s and there's no way I should be up considering my diet and just the sweating alone. It discouraged me. A co-worker said it could be muscle gain but I don't buy it. i'm sticking with it no matter what, maybe i'm just retaining water. I'll be drinking it like a fish the next week.
    So my question, is it possible it's muscle gain.????

There is a time when you are building muscle and the muscle is coming on to your body faster than you are burning the fat. You can sometimes see an increase in weight during this time, but at the same time, you can see inches coming off of your body because the muscle is more dense. As you gain muscle, it is more effective at burning calories than fat, and you will eventually see the fat burning faster because of your increase in muscle. Everybody's body is different, so the pace this happens for you will be different than for me, your cousin, or someone else on this site.
  • thatfitgurl
    Options
    GOOGLE fat and muscle... There are some great pics to illustrate what fat vs muscle really means....

There is a GREAT photo of a gal who weighs the same in both her before and after shot.

Difference is she is added muscle and lost fat. She created a new shape for her body... which I assume is what we are all after! :-)
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    So. When all is said and done, is muscle heavier than fat....?
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Yes, because Weight = (Density x Volume) x Gravity. Gravity is constant because we are all on Earth, so if we hold volume constant, and we all agree that muscle is denser than fat, then the outcome is an increased weight.
  • boopiejones
    Options
    yes, muscle is heavier than fat. look at the pic dixiejo posted above. the same volume of muscle will weigh more than the same volume of fat. that is why it is better to rely on body measurements instead of body weight when trying to "lose weight."

when you first start working out, you can't get discouraged that your weight isn't heading in the correct direction. your body will eventually head in the right direction, considering that you weren't working out before and are hopefully eating better or at least the same as you were before. if you were sitting on the couch eating cheetos all day and now you do the exact same thing but add an hour at the gym, you will be in better shape than you were without the gym.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg

CAN THERE BE A STICKY ON THIS?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hahaha Mcrow I was waiting for this. :)

Getcha popcorn ready!
  • menacingsprite
    menacingsprite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started with a personal trainer a few weeks ago. My first week i lost 3-1/2#'s, now this week he has been working me really hard strength training and I show i'm up 2#'s and there's no way I should be up considering my diet and just the sweating alone. It discouraged me. A co-worker said it could be muscle gain but I don't buy it. i'm sticking with it no matter what, maybe i'm just retaining water. I'll be drinking it like a fish the next week.
    So my question, is it possible it's muscle gain.????
    It's water retention. Your body needs excess water to repair muscle and to store it along with glycogen in the liver and muscle for the next "anticipated" workout. It's normal and can last up to a couple of weeks till your body adapts.
    And if you're on calorie deficit, this whole BS of "you're gaining muscle" is really just BS. To gain muscle, you need to have a caloric SURPLUS. It's possible to gain a little muscle if you've never strength trained before, but it would be minute. The best trainers who try to put on muscle are lucky to add 1lb of lean muscle a month even with spot on nutrition.

^^ This is exactly correct.
  • menacingsprite
    menacingsprite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Also, 1 inch squared of muscle weighs more than 1 inch squared than fat.

1 lb is 1 lb.

However the size of 1 lb of muscle is much smaller than 1 lb of fat. -- does that make sense?
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Glad you asked that question Sarah

As you can see in this picture, the 250 lbs. of fat is much bulkier than the 250 lbs. of muscle… A 250 pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a 250 pound pile of muscle. A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is denser than fat, the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller. Once you understand this, you will stop being so concerned with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle?

John-Prescott-006.jpg

john_prescott.jpg
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Chances are that half of the weight lost in the first week was water; it may be coming back as your body adjusts to your new routine.
    You probably are putting on muscle. And a pound of muscle will take up less space that a pound of fat, look better, and boost your metabolism. But it would take an awful lot to gain 2 lbs of muscle in just one week.

Good for you for sticking with it! As your body adjusts and you keep going, you will start seeing the results you're working for. Remember, you didn't gain the body you have now in a week or a month ... don't expect to have a fit, healthy body too quickly either.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options

Glad you asked that question Sarah

As you can see in this picture, the 250 lbs. of fat is much bulkier than the 250 lbs. of muscle… A 250 pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a 250 pound pile of muscle. A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is denser than fat, the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller. Once you understand this, you will stop being so concerned with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle?

[img]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Sport/Pix/columnists/2010/9/10/1284132133227/John-Prescott-006.jpg [\img][/img][img]http://www.anorak.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/john_prescott.jpg [\img][/img]

You could talk me in to bed any day shweeeeeedeart............
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    There's just no helping some people.

To answer the poster's original question, no. Absolutely, postitively no way. Your friend is talking rubbish. My money's on the original weeks weight loss was mostly water, which your body has now made you drink.

And Heather, I hope you're playing Poe.