veggies for breakfast?

Options
So, I have been meaning to make changes to what I eat for a long time now...more so than I already have since I joined MFP. I've been wanting to try new things. Sometimes little changes in your daily routine make a difference with weight loss.

So, either I got this somewhat crazy idea (crazy for me) from something I saw way back when on another MFP member's blog or heck, maybe I made it up in my head...I was thinking of cutting out the usual cereal for breakfast, and eating VEGGIES instead. This way, I would be getting extra veggies into my day, and hopefully taking in a lil less sugar.

And, when I say veggies for breakfast, that is what I literally mean. When I originally thought of this, I thought that doing this would not include something like chopped up peppers and onions in an omelet. I also don't mean celery sticks with pb and raisins. Sounds yummy, but the celery sticks isn't really a bang for my buck in the nutritional value department (in comparison to other veggies like broccoli and spinach-or so I thought I read somewhere). I mean something like steamed plain veggies. A salad perhaps? I like broccoli, and I add it to dinner or have steamed broccoli as a snack sometimes, but eating it for breakfast is just something totally different for me...

I want to try this for a week, and see how it goes. I want to see how it affects my everything...Will it make for a decent weight loss after a week? Will I feel light as a feather? doubt it lol. Will it affect my mood and energy? Will removing that one piece of processed food that I eat daily change things? We shall see :) I don't really expect a HUGE difference, as it is only something I am doing for breakfast...versus literally eating veggies ALL day. Can I do it? Can I stick with it for a WHOLE week? :/

My thing is that I can talk it up all I want-but, I need a PLAN OF ACTION / PLAN OF ATTACK (POA).

I yahoo'd vegetarian breakfast-and got a lot of muffins, etc you can make. Trying to leave out the additional carbs, for the most part. Although, I found this recipe for Peanut Butter Oatmeal, and it sounds DEE-LISH! So, perhaps I will be doing something with oats/oatmeal next week too! I am thinking if I do the veggies for a few days, and I am not liking it, I could either: a) continue to torture myself to finish out the week or b) do oatmeal for the remainder of the week...

Ok, so I could literally make a salad for breakfast? Or......?????????? I do not want to drink V8 juice...the smell of that stuff makes me gag. I am more of a fresh veggies person....

My co-worker suggested doing an omelet-1 whole egg, 2 egg whites with a bunch of veggies in it...I would consider doing that...I would then get my protein in the morning...although, IF I use this option, that means...DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN...I have to get up earlier! eeeeeeeeek. :/ Not that it takes long to make an omelet, but I would def have to get up earlier so that it is fresh.

If you have tried doing this, do you have any other ideas?

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I always have veggies for breakfast! I wilt kale and spinach into a savory porridge to get my greens in right away, then I make a green juice with fruits and veggies...it's a great way to start the morning!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great idea - I've never deliberately tried to eat vegetables for breakfast, but I've been having cucumbers with every meal since they started coming in.

Maybe you could try making vegetable soup for breakfast - you wouldn't have to get up earlier if you make it ahead of time, and it would keep in the fridge for at least a week. I've had cold cucumber soup and gazpacho for breakfast (again with the cukes! I have more than I could have dreamed of), and they're both delicious. Easy, too!
  • SarahFrankel
    SarahFrankel Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to get my veggies in the morning with green smoothies -- I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a few handfuls of spinach and a frozen banana. The banana totally masks the spinach taste and you can also add protein powder to it if you like.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    What about a veggie omelet?
    I make a 1 egg omelet ( no milk,just a bit of water) loaded with pre sauteed veggies ( sauteed in water of course) and its divine!
  • XtinaRocks
    XtinaRocks Posts: 24
    Options
    This might sound weird but for breakfast I love making egg whites with salsa. Its super yummy and low cal and low fat. You can add veggies in too. I put spinach in one time and it came out delish! Just an idea!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    I many times incorporate leftover vegetables (of which there are always some in my fridge as I cook vegetables every single day) into my breakfast meal. Keeps me from falling into a routine, uses up leftovers, and kicks my day off to an awesome start!!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    This might sound weird but for breakfast I love making egg whites with salsa. Its super yummy and low cal and low fat. You can add veggies in too. I put spinach in one time and it came out delish! Just an idea!

Not weird at all!! I often eat salsa with my eggs. That there is good stuff...
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite breakfast ever is Eggs Benedict. LOL I don't eat that much any more. But my second favorite is cheese toast and tomatoes. Quick and easy and a whole serving of veggies. I just toast 2 slices of whole grain bread, put a slice of reduced fat cheese on each and slice a nice ripe tomato over both. It's like an open-faced tomato cheese sandwich for breakfast.

I also love omelettes with spinach/mushrooms/tomatoes for breakfast. But you're right that those take a little more time. I have this quirky thing that my breakfast has to be traditional breakfast food, so I don't think I could do the salad or soup thing in the am. :tongue:
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I find that veggies in some form or another is wonderful for breakfast. Here is a Vegan Tofu Scrambler which no only do you get lots and lots of veggies you also get high levels of protein from tofu. If you are squeemish about tofu it actually is about the texture of soft scrambled eggs in here. I do tend to top with reduced fat cheese and it is like a cheesey omlett.

Tofu Scrambler

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup chopped onions
    2-4 cloves of garlic
    2 small to medium zucchinis
    2 medium yellow summer squash
    2 cups sliced mushrooms (then chopped)
    1 red bell pepper
    4 cups spinach fresh then chopped
    2 16 oz packages of firm tofu
    2 teaspoons of black pepper
    1 teaspoon of curry powder
    1 teaspoon of turmeric
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    3 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
    ¼ to 12 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste.

Directions
    1. Chop up veggies. Depending on how big of chunks you want will depend on the size of your chop.
    2. Place large chefs pan or stock pot on medium heat with olive oil. Sautee onions and garlic until onions start to turn the add bell pepper, squash, zucchini and mushroom. Sautee until they soften. (may need to turn to higher heat as these veggies give off a lot of water) 5-15 mins.
    3. Crumble tofu into pan. ( I prefer smaller chunks to having large chunks of tofu so it can absorb flavor) sautee for 2 mins
    4. Add spices and soy sauce and sautee for 3-5 mins.
    Servings 7 (for me it was just over a cup each) for about 205 calories

Cook’s Note: I served mine with reduced fat cheese and some medium salsa. It was tasty and filling. Depending on how spicy you like it be careful with the red pepper flakes.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Maybe juicing would be a good choice for you?

Or make an egg fritata (in the oven the night before, then just warm it up the next few breakfasts!
    I'm sure you could throw a lot of veggies in there!

Good Luck! ;)
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Veggies for breakfast is not that odd of a concept, actually, or difficult to do. Today, for example, I had grilled asparagus and a poached egg.... plus other goodies. However, for you I think you would like the green smoothie. Here is a recipe I know:

1 cup of organic apple juice (or water or coconut water)
    1 cup of spinach
    1 carrot
    1 celery stalk
    1 banana (I personally skip the fruit)
    1 apple
    1 Tbs of organic coconut oil

You can add spirulina, flax seed oil, acai berry and just go crazy with the smoothie! There's also a ton of other recipes online for juicing and smoothies. Bottoms up!

Cheers!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will have to try some of these ideas!! :D
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I'm gonna write this down! Thanks!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i make veggie muffins ahead of time so i don't have to get up earlier to cook. throw them in the microwave for 20 seconds and you are good to go. here is a base recipe:

5 eggs
    1/3 cup salsa
    1 cup shredded cheese (i use mozzarella, but you can use colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack, mexican blend, parmesan, etc)
    1 yellow bell pepper
    1 cup steamed broccoli florets
    1 cup steamed cauliflower florets
    optional: onions, garlic, mushrooms (5-6 sliced), spinach, asparagus, bacon bits, etc

pre-heat oven to 350.
    steam broccoli and cauliflower (5 minutes in microwave with a little bit of water, covered), allow to cool.
    finely chop bell pepper, broccoli and cauliflower.
    scramble eggs in a medium bowl.
    add salsa, cheese and chopped veggies.
    mix well and scoop into well-greased muffin tin. (2 large spoonfuls is 12 muffins)
    bake for 30 minutes.
    enjoy warm or cool!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i make veggie muffins ahead of time so i don't have to get up earlier to cook. throw them in the microwave for 20 seconds and you are good to go. here is a base recipe:

5 eggs
    1/3 cup salsa
    1 cup shredded cheese (i use mozzarella, but you can use colby jack, cheddar, pepper jack, mexican blend, parmesan, etc)
    1 yellow bell pepper
    optional: onions, garlic, mushrooms (5-6 sliced), spinach, asparagus, bacon bits, et

pre-heat oven to 350.
    steam broccoli and cauliflower (5 minutes in microwave with a little bit of water, covered), allow to cool.
    mix well and scoop into well-greased muffin tin. (2 large spoonfuls is 12 muffins)
    bake for 30 minutes.
    enjoy warm or cool!

Yum! Those sound really goof!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options

5 eggs
    1/3 cup salsa
    1 yellow bell pepper
    optional: onions, garlic, mushrooms (5-6 sliced), spinach, asparagus, bacon bits, etc

pre-heat oven to 350.
    bake for 30 minutes.
    enjoy warm or cool!

oooooooooooooooo that sounds yum!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I make a huge quiche on Sunday and put the other 7 servings into glad bowls for the week. This way there is no cooking on work days and I can just warm and eat with my already brewed coffee (thanks to the coffee pot timer). I love zucchini and a little onion with my eggs and a little uncured nitrate free bacon in mine and my sis likes bacon, spinach, and peppers so I make us each a quiche for the week. You can make it in muffin tins too I see someone already made that suggestion but I prefer the big frying pan easier clean up (I have an oven safe non stick skillet).