Kicking soda out?

Options
I used to be a huge soda (coke) drinker (like 4 days ago before I joined :laugh: ) But I have decided to cut it completely out of my diet. I would normally drink about 3 or 4 sodas per day! Will that make a big difference in my weight loss/ health? I am doing really good, and haven't had any cravings for soda yet, water works fine :bigsmile:

Replies

• Kateeliz
    Kateeliz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I used to be a huge soda (coke) drinker (like 4 days ago before I joined :laugh: ) But I have decided to cut it completely out of my diet. I would normally drink about 3 or 4 sodas per day! Will that make a big difference in my weight loss/ health? I am doing really good, and haven't had any cravings for soda yet, water works fine :bigsmile:
  • faythe
    faythe Posts: 245
    Options
    Flavored water is really awesome, too, if you get a hankering for something tasty. Good luck and great job on sticking to it!
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thank you :smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes, it will make a huge difference. Try to stick to plain water, it's the best thing for you. I cut out soda this week and dropped 2 lbs after 2 1/2 weeks of no loss. Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Soda (or the lack of it) will make a difference in your weight loss effort. Each 12 regular soda that you drink adds sugar and 150/170 empty calories to your daily intake. 4 a day adds up to about 600 calories!:noway: Try to cut back gradually, that worked for me. Now, if I absolutely MUST have a soda, I drink diet....and even that is only one or two times a week. Drink lots of water too!
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Soda (or the lack of it) will make a difference in your weight loss effort. Each 12 regular soda that you drink adds sugar and 150/170 empty calories to your daily intake. 4 a day adds up to about 600 calories!:noway: Try to cut back gradually, that worked for me. Now, if I absolutely MUST have a soda, I drink diet....and even that is only one or two times a week. Drink lots of water too!

Oh I don't need to cut back gradually, I am determined to quit it all together, and I have been doing good so far, and now that I know how many calories I was drinking in a day, it will make not drinking it that much easier :):)
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    yes, it will make a huge difference. Try to stick to plain water, it's the best thing for you. I cut out soda this week and dropped 2 lbs after 2 1/2 weeks of no loss. Good luck to you! :drinker:

:noway: Wow!! That is great to hear, and really encourages me to stay away from it! I will stick with plain water, it's not that bad :smile:
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    YES! Soda has tons of chemicals that are no good for your body. Congrats! I like to take some sparkling water and add a little fruit juice (grape is my favorite) for a different taste once in a while. I think it tastes better than soda and it's better for you. It's quite a nice low-cal treat as well! :happy:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

Oh I don't need to cut back gradually, I am determined to quit it all together, and I have been doing good so far, and now that I know how many calories I was drinking in a day, it will make not drinking it that much easier :):)

That is what I did in August. I quit my sodas cold turkey. That is the easiest way to do it. I was drinking about anywhere from 800-1000 calories a day just in soda. Now that I see that I cant believe it. I like my water now.

Connie
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info & the congrats :happy:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Just remember you may go through withdrawls....since you are a few days in you may be okay, but it's just a heads up.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Just remember you may go through withdrawls....since you are a few days in you may be okay, but it's just a heads up.

Yes thank you :smile: I have tried before and failed, but that was before I changed my diet and counted calories, so hopefully I'm off to a better start this time. I will just post my heart out here, if I go through withdrawls :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Yes thank you :smile: I have tried before and failed, but that was before I changed my diet and counted calories, so hopefully I'm off to a better start this time. I will just post my heart out here, if I go through withdrawls :laugh:

Fabulous! You will totally notice a difference. I occasionaly drink soda on the weekends....ugh... I am a holy terror for 1-2 days after cause I feel so bleck and sick.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    Fabulous! You will totally notice a difference. I occasionaly drink soda on the weekends....ugh... I am a holy terror for 1-2 days after cause I feel so bleck and sick.

Yes I am very nervous about the weekend coming up, it will be my first one...and of course I will be tempted to bend the rules on everything :grumble:

But if I want to reach my goal in time, I cant I cant I cant lol :sad:
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Ahhhh a deadline, I try to avoid those for my own sanity.
    Don't worry if you slip up now and then.
    My whole mentality with this process is that I am not going to make changes that I CAN NOT live with forever. It's a lifestyle change.
  • Kateeliz
    Options
    My whole mentality with this process is that I am not going to make changes that I CAN NOT live with forever. It's a lifestyle change.

Well they way I'm using the deadline is different. I have a vacation coming up with my husband who is currently deployed overseas, we are going to Germany for two weeks, it's sort of the honeymoon we never got to have. I just want to feel better and look better for when I see him, I don't have a specific weight I want to reach by then. :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    More importantly than weight, it will save your bone density as well. Just a cup of soda per day can decrease bone density in women of all ages and races--not just those predisposed to osteopenia and osteoporosis. The phosphorus in dark colas has a greater calcium-binding effect than that of light sodas, or there's just more of it in dark colas. Either way, it's great to reduce it in your diet.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options

Well they way I'm using the deadline is different. I have a vacation coming up with my husband who is currently deployed overseas, we are going to Germany for two weeks, it's sort of the honeymoon we never got to have. I just want to feel better and look better for when I see him, I don't have a specific weight I want to reach by then. :)

Makes perfect sense to me since I am waiting at home for a deployed soldier myself.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    More importantly than weight, it will save your bone density as well. Just a cup of soda per day can decrease bone density in women of all ages and races--not just those predisposed to osteopenia and osteoporosis. The phosphorus in dark colas has a greater calcium-binding effect than that of light sodas, or there's just more of it in dark colas. Either way, it's great to reduce it in your diet.

wow, glad I read this. I cut out most soda, but still go for seltzer and a diet cola now and then. Now I dont think I will touch them at all.

thanks sbs
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

wow, glad I read this. I cut out most soda, but still go for seltzer and a diet cola now and then. Now I dont think I will touch them at all.

thanks sbs

No prob.
    I was surprised when I read the study, but it looked well-controlled and didn't just use women who were already at risk. It stated that one or two a week may not be an issue, but one a day makes a difference. I usually have about 4 a week so I'm trying to cut back too.