Swing shift on diet any suggestions?

I work 12 hour nights and Days , two weeks of each. Its seems as though i do great with my diet but then when i transition to midnights its all downhill. I get tired i have coffee and then eat a snack it helps keep me alert. I am a nurse can't really take a nap at night to busy and must be alert. I have transition back to days the non working days because i have small kids. I find the first day on i eat all three meals before work then a meal and a snack at work always over....and i feel really tired so i don't want to cook so i eat crap food ....any suggestions on how to keep a schedule with kid friendly meals and not go over the calorie count?

Replies

• Car0lina82
    Car0lina82 Posts: 22
    Hi, something that works for me is to use a couple of hours from my days off for cooking and freezing individual servings. For example, I'll make a huge batch of whole-wheat pizza dough, shape it into individual assembled vegetarian pizzas in zip-lock bags and voila. Same for calzones (same pizza dough but shaped into a stuffed, closed pocket) which I like to stuff with steamed broccoli, onion and a (little!) cheese.

As a side note, I was a bit confused by the concept of kid-friendly meals. I think any healthy meal is a kid-friendly meal-- way better than hot dogs, nuggets, fries, and "food" of the sort which is anything *but* friendly to a child's nutritional requirements.
    (I'm not implying that's what you feed your children, I just point it out because many people think kid-friendly = McDonalds, and it's not). Basically, any balanced meal we as adults eat can be shared with our children to help them gather healthy eating habits from a young age.
  • davidcookfan
    davidcookfan Posts: 37 Member
    I was the same way. I would either eat way less or overeat. So i started to bring stuff to work. Like carrott sticks, protein bars, fruit, I use to work 8pm till 430am. just on the weekends. It totaly messed up my body with my eating. I would overeat on fri and then i would undereat on sat. and sunday i just picked. BUt i found that if i ate all my meals on fri then bring a couple of snacks to work i was fine. then on sat i would eat my breakfast when the kids ate lunch and i ate my lunch when they ate dinner. But then i would bring a meal replacemnet shake with me to work along with little snacks. When i started to do it that way i started to feel more enegry and the weight was coming off as well. I still contuine to use the meal replacement shakes daily one for breakfast and one for lunch. I was surprised on how much enegry i got for them and hte taste was soo good. the calories were low and the protein high. Which worked awesome for me .