Advice Please? My boyfriend no longer eats

2»

Replies

• jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    It might just be that he will continue this way until he can't work anymore. If he ends up in the hospital, they'll either get him to eat, or feed him intravenously. Or maybe he will eventually realize that he needs to eat more the worse he feels. Not much you can do about it.

A whole goat? Really? I'm impressed.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,850 Member
    He ate an entire goat?

And an entire turkey?

im still on the goat thing....i can't get past it.

heart to heart - and he needs to realize in order to be there to take care of his mom he needs to take care of himself -- on a side note, my husband works on phone lines and he comes home with half or more of his lunch not eaten cause it's too damn hot to eat...so make him his favorite healthy food for you both and have the heart to heart over dinner - because as a mom, i've learned that the best time for heart to hearts is when youre not staring straight in the eyes and feel uncomfortable .. if that makes sense...OR take him out to his favorite restaurant for said heart to heart and he can't leave :D im infamous for talks with tween in car :) she can't run away
    as someone who was a teen a very short while ago and now has zero connection to parents... i am all for the talks in car thing. even when i don't agree with my parents (note: 99% of the time) i'd prefer car talks over no talking. jmo.

edit: goat?? :noway: :noway: :noway: i can't even do goat milk/cheese...
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Protein/nutrition calorie rich shakes and some profesional help.
  • mrtentaclenun
    mrtentaclenun Posts: 174 Member
    Thanks for all the kind words guys, it really does help.

Unfortunately, he saw a LOT in the Bosnian/Serbian war (he fought in it) and doesn't believe in depression because of it. (Frustrating in itself as I suffer from depression). He would have to be bleeding everywhere just to go to a doctor. (Not kidding, he was stabbed once and sewed it himself to avoid a doctor. He is a bit ridiculous in the manly mindset, another frustrating quality. Its ok to admit when you're hurt or sick!).

It seems like my best bet is just continue to be there for him and support him and not stress him out about not eating. In time I'm sure he will be back to his old ways.

As for the cake/goak/turkey, those were not all in one sitting! Each one was its own special occassion. Like I said, he is a bottomless pit for food. I made him 12 hot dogs one time and he stopped not from being full but from being bored of hot dogs.

Thanks again guys for your support! I knew I could count on you guys.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Honestly... it's temporary. He's not going to die of starvation or get seriously ill. He will eat when he feels like it, honest.

His mother is dying. I would leave him be. Some people don't eat when they're under massive stress - I'm one of them. The appetite comes back eventually.

Keep cooking for him, but certainly don't push the point.

Just my two cents.
  • candiigraham
    candiigraham Posts: 53 Member
    Honestly... it's temporary. He's not going to die of starvation or get seriously ill. He will eat when he feels like it, honest.

His mother is dying. I would leave him be. Some people don't eat when they're under massive stress - I'm one of them. The appetite comes back eventually.

Keep cooking for him, but certainly don't push the point.

Just my two cents.
    I agree with her, when I'm sad and stressed I won't eat for days. But I eventually made up for it. My ex worked in the heat and his stomach just couldn't take a lot of food. Give him to go shakes, Muscle Milk is a good one and just keep cooking for him. It's temporary. If he shows some really serious signs, like missing 2 or more days of NO solid foods then I would worry more. Just my 2 cents.
  • Ssocrrbabe
    Ssocrrbabe Posts: 51
    It sounds like your boyfriend is going through the stages of depression and most likely he subconsciously isn't eating because that is how he is dealing with his mom's impending death. Meaning food consumption is one of the few things that a human can control, so maybe supconsciously he is controlling how much he eats because he feels that everything else going on in his life is out of control. Even though its hard I definelty would sit down and have aheart-to-heart. Tell him you're concerned about his health and want him around for a long time and that he needs to eat to be strong (Maybe be alittle manipulative and play up that he needs to eat to be strong so he can be there fre his mom in her time of need and not have him also be getting sick) I kno I know kinda manipulative but it may work. Just my advice. You could also try asking him what he would like to eat and making him his favorite meal as a precursor to this heart-to-heart talk.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Thanks for all the kind words guys, it really does help.

Unfortunately, he saw a LOT in the Bosnian/Serbian war (he fought in it) and doesn't believe in depression because of it. (Frustrating in itself as I suffer from depression). He would have to be bleeding everywhere just to go to a doctor. (Not kidding, he was stabbed once and sewed it himself to avoid a doctor. He is a bit ridiculous in the manly mindset, another frustrating quality. Its ok to admit when you're hurt or sick!).

It seems like my best bet is just continue to be there for him and support him and not stress him out about not eating. In time I'm sure he will be back to his old ways.

As for the cake/goak/turkey, those were not all in one sitting! Each one was its own special occassion. Like I said, he is a bottomless pit for food. I made him 12 hot dogs one time and he stopped not from being full but from being bored of hot dogs.

Thanks again guys for your support! I knew I could count on you guys.

You know, those manly man guys are sort of out of your hands. You can be there for him only so much, and then you have to know you have to take care of yourself, too. You can only change yourself. Plus you will need to remember you have limits for your mental health, and know when you need a break.
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    A lot of good advice here! Will he eat any kind of nuts? It's easy to get a lot of calories an protein in a few handfuls. When I did manual labor outside the only lunch I would eat was cold turkey rolled and an orange.

Trailmix could be a quick mindless grab for him.
This discussion has been closed.