Question about the holidays

Options
Hey guys, with the holidays approaching in a few months, how do YOU make sure you maintain your weight and even lose with all the food that seems just pop up everywhere? I LOVE to cook and I LOVE to eat, however with my choice of a new/healthy lifestyle, I know this is going to be a very difficult year in the regard to food. No doubt my sister will have a few snide comments to make about me logging my calories, which is fine. I think I'm prepared for it. But outside of that, any suggestions/ideas/tricks you have learned would be great. I'm preparing myself mentally now so that later it won't *feel* so difficult.

Thanks!

Replies

• gsnap30
    gsnap30 Posts: 67
    Options
    I will be going through the same thing this year. What helps me is to use a smaller plate. The bigger ones just make me pile on the extra food. I love holidays and all the food my family makes too but remember to also drink water. It will fill you up so you eat less. On the other topic is I may, their is nothing wrong with logging in your food. It shows that you are serious about weight loss and hopefully your sister along with your family will support you and CHEER!! I will be for you! Stay head strong!
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always repeat the saying "It's a holi-DAY, not a holi-WEEK" to myself and then just let myself indulge as much as I want on the actual day, not the whole few weeks...
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I never go to a party/get-together starving. I'll have a hand full of carrots, celery or cherry tomatoes before I go so I don't immediately eat all the unhealthy food in sight! Also, I always offer to bring something.... and I make it something uber healthy that I can eat even if everthing else is bad. (Normally a veggie tray w/ hummus or chopped mixed fruit). I like the previous post too -- small plates and lots of water are key! =)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I started this journey last August and continued through the holidays.

I ate less, exercised more. I found that as long as I measured my portions I could have some of whatever I wanted at Thanksgiving and Xmas dinner. I also realized I didn't really WANT a roll, it just wasn't worth it to me anymore. Decide what's worth it to you to eat. I LOVE Mashed Potatoes, so I skipped other things to have more of that. I ate white meat turkey and skipped the gravy. I skipped the green bean casserole and ate cooked baby carrots (not dripping in butter). Etc. It CAN be done!!

So even for people just starting out it IS possible. I haven't had a plateau in the year I've been here.

I also didn't care that my family thought I was crazy that I measured portions out at their house in measuring cups. Now I have 2 relatives that wish they had my motivation and dedication because this year they are still overweight and I'm not (as much).
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have been preparing my mind with these thoughts the last couple of years and it has worked.

1. We can actually make and have those foods ANY time of the year. I now can have pumpkin pie in July if I want, so then I don't have to eat 2 pieces. OR I love sweet potatoes and only would eat them during the holidays. Not anymore I eat them when I feel like it. Of course keeping in mind moderation and overall balance of foods during the day and week.

Also I love to bake, so I have been switching out my sugar for Xylitol, which is a Natural form of sugar. You should read up on it. It is lower on the glycemic scale than Stevia. It is dervied naturally and is 40% less calories than sugar.

So I have tested with that and it works great. There are other substitutes out there for baking light and still tasting good. I just have to plan my meals and my next day or weeks eating with my holiday "eats and treats" in mind.

If you know your going to a specific party then you can prepare by eating well during the week and of course that day. Eat a small portion, and in some cases if you can bring a treat make your own healthy version or less fat/sugar/carb version and eat it.

Those are my best tips.
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I started this journey last August and continued through the holidays.

I ate less, exercised more. I found that as long as I measured my portions I could have some of whatever I wanted at Thanksgiving and Xmas dinner. I also realized I didn't really WANT a roll, it just wasn't worth it to me anymore. Decide what's worth it to you to eat. I LOVE Mashed Potatoes, so I skipped other things to have more of that. I ate white meat turkey and skipped the gravy. I skipped the green bean casserole and ate cooked baby carrots (not dripping in butter). Etc. It CAN be done!!

So even for people just starting out it IS possible. I haven't had a plateau in the year I've been here.

I also didn't care that my family thought I was crazy that I measured portions out at their house in measuring cups. Now I have 2 relatives that wish they had my motivation and dedication because this year they are still overweight and I'm not (as much).

Thank you so much for this! I know I'm going to get ribbed by my sister for measuring stuff, but it will be worth it!!