Only need to lose 30-35 lbs

Options
i see all of the posts about people losing 7-10 lbs in the first week or 2 they are on MFP. My question is...does anyone know what a realistic weight loss is for someone who only needs to lost about 30-35 lbs? i need to go from 164 to between 135-130 (depending on how 135 feels). i know not to expect to lose 5 lbs the first week and my goal is actually 1.25lbs. I am trying not to weight (but i'm super impatient so its hard) until the 1 week mark so that i will feel like i've accomplished something when i step on the scale and see (hopefully!) my 1 lb loss. has anyone thats not losing a 'lot' of weight still had a high weight loss during the 1st week? I'm just scared ill lose motivation ... *sigh* and i know i know, this is making me healthier and my muscles stronger...and my mind tells me that today but when i see no weight loss i tend to backslide.... suggestions??

Replies

• ashleelyman
    Options
    A realistic (and healthy!) goal is to lose 1-2 lbs per week. People that lose 7-10 a week are the ones that have a LOT of weight to lose - it comes off quicker in the beginning the bigger you are.

Good luck!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I did this before and lost almost 40lbs in just under 3 months and if you stick with it, you can keep it off.:bigsmile:
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    try taking your measurements on putting on an outfit that doesn't quite fit right. Weight fluctuates constantly, even for skinny people, so the scale really shouldn't be used as your sole means of checking success. Some people see the scale move up and go into hyper motivation mode, not me. I lose motivation pretty quickly when I'm not gaining weight so having measurements or clothing or keeping an exercise log that also has a little part about how you feel about the exercise are helpful in keeping me stay focused.
    Good Luck!!!!
  • kluver42
    kluver42 Posts: 24
    Options
    I had/have the same goal. I started out at 178 and im looking to get down to 145. I only have 15 lbs to go! And if i can do it, you can totally do it.
  • twink44
    twink44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am beginning my second week. I lost about 1.5 pounds. I weighed 162 with a goal of 30-35 lbs. to lose. I know from prior experience that jumpstart programs get you fired up, but they aren't sustainable. Depending on your age, it's better to lose it with a higher quality diet and more calories instead of messing with your metabolism. You probably already know this but low calorie diets or carb sparing (900 calories) you can lose 5 lbs in a week, but it's likely that 3 lbs. is water weight and so the net loss is only about 2 lbs. It's also hard to have fitness goals if you don't have a balanced diet. i encourage you to stay with MFP. I haven't found a better system, daily support and nutritional analysis. Good luck to you.
  • cutiegirl9109
    Options
    I'm trying to lose about the same amount of weight. My first week before I joined I started doing the Jillian Michaels workout vids. I think I have 30 day shred and 6 week 6pack abs or something like that. They make you sweat a lot but you feel great afterwards. I lost a lot of weight doing that a few times a week. Now I dont really have time for it so I'm aiming for about 1-1.5 lbs per week. i actually gained a little this week, but I just gotta keep going because it's natural to fluctuate sometimes. =)