Cookout advice...

Options
Tomorrow I'll be attending 2 cookouts :grumble: haha. They should be fun, but I really hate being surrounded by tons of food that I really don't want to eat (because it won't be worth it).

I know that I could eat tiny little bits of the things I want...but this honestly doesn't work for me. Instead, I want to make healthy choices and bring some stuff with me. I don't plan on depriving myself...I just want to go for the things that aren't as bad.

The first one is a work function and the second one is with friends. I'm already predicting that the work one will have better choices and that the second one won't have any good choices haha.

What healthy things do you bring to cookouts? Any go-to recipes? Certain things I should look for?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Veggie trays/cut veggies, fruit salad, quinoa salad with veggies...
    Shishkabobs with meat and veggies.

I've been bringing a lot of my own food to things lately (struggling in keeping gluten free despite my need to). So that's how I've had to manage with it.

Of course there are the options of don't use a bun, or only half a bun.

And, just to add, don't let the food get to you. Enjoy the people around you! Food shouldn't rule our lives! (Yes, I know easier said than done, but I've found if I focus more on the people and talking I end up eating a lot less)
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Well the great thing about cookouts is that it's mostly meat and vegetables on the grill. I would say to watch portions and eat more of the meat and vegetables rather than the other choices like certain salads, desserts, and higher calorie foods. As long as the portions are within range, I don't think you will have trouble.
    Sounds like you're going to have a fun time! :)
  • prov31ruth
    prov31ruth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you like fish or seafood your could bring fish or shrimp on kabobs. I find that always pretty tasty and exciting. :happy: