I can eat HOW MANY calories???

Options
124»

Replies

• tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You eat 1500 calories a day and you will go into starvation mode sorry mate but you will you wont loose a thing.

Thats not true at all. I've been eating under 1500 calories for more than 3 months, I have lost 65 pounds since February 2011.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories each day....when you under eat your body goes into starvation mode and turns many things you put into your body as a carbohydrate. I have found that TRULY tracking my food has helped me realize what I eat is causing my weight gain.
    As a teacher in a school setting, I have found it very easy to get in a few minutes of exercise....a quick walk around the building, taking the stairs, going to a class instead of calling a room et. al. Those little steps will help with a weight loss during the course of a year.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You eat 1500 calories a day and you will go into starvation mode sorry mate but you will you wont loose a thing.

Thats not true at all. I've been eating under 1500 calories for more than 3 months, I have lost 65 pounds since February 2011.

Did you weigh over 330 lbs when you ate 1500 calories a day?
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi Michael,

There is a lot of great advice here - use it. Also - make sure you take some good vitamins and get plenty of vitamin D. If you spend a lot of time indoors (which it sounds like you do) you are probably vitamin D deficient. There are studies that show a link between vitamin D and weight loss.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/153669.php

Check out the link.

Good luck in this journey - feel free to add me as a friend. We all need support from time to time :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

just because you did it, doesn't mean it was healthy for your body. It is a proven fact, that mens (below link provides some infomation). The biggest problem with eating that low amount of calories is your body will turn to the muscles to get the energy source as your fat sources strink. This means, you may have lost weight, but it wasnt from fat, it was from muscle. Doing this method will decrease your metabolism and harm your functions. Grant it, people with larges sums of body fat, can sustain this approach for longer, but it doesn't mean it's healthy by any means. And why would you do this, if you can eat more and lost just as much by eating more calories? People have this misconception that less calories = faster weight loss. This is incorrect. The fact is, if you eat right (maximizing your calories to comspensate for yoru Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE)), you will lose faster and reduce the chance of a plateau. And it's about getting quality calories, not just loads of crap or not enough. Simply put, food is fuel.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I am currently following MFP recommendations, and while I generally am running 100-300 calories below goal on a daily basis, I did go over one day and I did lose over 4lbs this week!!!
  • dkb228
    dkb228 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on your progress so far! I've also been overweight my whole life (although I didn't reach "obese" until my junior year in high school) so I can relate. I'm also a mom so I understand how important it is to prioritize "free" time.

I have to say for me, the only time I am under my calories (I get 1270, I think... and I have it set to lose 2 lbs a week) is when I'm not eating healthy foods and when I'm eating 2-3 large meals instead of 4-5 small. I now know that it wasn't necessarily the number of calories I consumed (because I, like you, wasn't really eating an astronomical amount of calories when I gained weight) it was how I was eating. I was completely killing my metabolism! But now that I have spread out my food throughout the day and am making better choices (most days... lol) I've found that I do usually go over calories. Luckily I'm able to fit in at least one, sometimes 2, good work outs a day to compensate. I typically work out while my daughter is napping, or if possible I get her involved. Since she's only 11 months old, that usually just means going for a power walk with her in the stroller. Although she does also seem to enjoy watching me sweat to death when I do the 30 Day Shred dvd. :)

I'll send you a friend request - add me if you'd like. :)