Knee pain?

Options
carlxo21
carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
a couple months ago I twisted my knee while camping. It healed and was fine, but I noticed that when I try to push myself at the gym it will act up. If that happens I can't even work out because my knee will hurt so badly.
I can't jog, run, bike, or do elliptical when my knee is bothering me.
I don't know what to do. I want to RUN and do HIIT but I can't because of the knee pain.
any advice?
I can NOT afford to see a doctor

Replies

• Epitomeofadiva
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I would love to know the answer to this question as well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You can afford a gym membership but not a doctor visit? It seems to me that you might have your priorities a little backwards, but you're young and you'll never get sick or hurt, right? I'm not trying to be mean here, but these are things you learn as you get a bit older.

That said, it seems to me that your knee is not "healed and fine." There is still something wrong with it and you won't know what it is until you see a doctor. Continuing to do high impact exercises are going to keep it from healing properly on its own, if it can even do that without a doctor's care. If you continue to try to work out on it, the longer you wait to get a professional opinion, the more likely it won't ever be "normal" again.
  • jcs1987
    jcs1987 Posts: 10
    Options
    So this may not be an answer but I do have the same problem and I use a knee brace when my knee is acting up. You can usually find a decent one at a drug store and they dont cost too much but dont go for the super cheap ones because they usually dont offer enough support. Then after I work out I make sure to ice my knee if it is swollen or if it is just sore but no swelling I put heat on it. I'm no expert but I know what has worked for me.
  • Nikki_is_Knotty
    Nikki_is_Knotty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have been living with knee pain for over 10 yrs (since i was 13) and it is part of the reason i am overweight. Now what i do when my knees are hurting bad is usually swim. Otherwise i cant do elliptical or running anyways but i just take it easy when im in motr pain.
  • alz139
    alz139 Posts: 36
    Options
    I've had knee problems pretty much all my life. I am NOT an expert though! The best thing to do is rest it! It takes a long time for the knee to heal because you use it in pretty much every movement you make. Also try some Ice if it's sore!

Exercise wise....you could maybe try swimming??? As it's less impact than most other forms of cardio.

Hope your knee's better soon!

Maybe see a physio???
  • alisonbank
    alisonbank Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i'm having the EXACT same problem with my knees. i actually went the student clinic at my university today and the doctor told me i should go to PT for a month to help (don't know if i'm actually going to do this or not), but he said Rest, Ice, Elevate, and take pain relievers and get a brace.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Mueller Knee Strap braces so i'm ordering two of those ASAP so i can keep up with my running and videos.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Where is the pain coming from? (side, under knee cap, below knee cap during downward pressure?)
    Do you have swelling?
    Does the kneecap feel tight and normal or loose and you can move it around more easily than your other knee cap?

Knee pain and injury is no laughing matter. If the pain is persistent and does not go away after a week or so of resting it then its probably time to see the doctor.
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    You may eventually have to see a doctor but here is my advice for now. (Coming from someone who has had surgery on both knees.) I am not a doctor. I just have had knee pain too and know it sucks bad!

1. Go on long distance walks for a while instead of runs. I know it is frustrating and it takes longer to burn as much but you don't want to injure yourself further. It would be better to take a break from cardio for a few days to a week, but if you must exercise, walk.
    2. About 15-20 minutes before you exercise, take 2 ibuprofen. This will keep any swelling down to a minimum.
    3. Strengthen your quads hard core. A lot of knee pain is caused by or increased by lack of strength in your quads. One of the easiest exercises you can do for this is leg lifts with minimal weight as to not strain your knee.
    4. Stretch! Stretch out your hamstrings before AND after you work out.
    5. Ice it up. Even if your work out wasn't super intense, ice your knee afterward and elevate it. You can switch between ice and heat if the ice doesn't help the pain. But the first priority is to get any swelling (if there is any) down.

I have no idea where your pain is located or what type of pain it is, but those things ^^ help me. Eventually you will probably need to go the doctor if it doesn't stop.

Other things to consider:
    Try and Epsom Salt bath
    Sleep with a pillow between your knees
    If it ends up being a joint issue (like mine) and not a muscle issue, try a supplement called "turmeric."

Please let me know if you want anymore advice! :) Good luck and feel better soon!:flowerforyou:
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I strained my knees a year or so ago (mostly because I was so fat). I noticed a lot of light stretching and squat type exercises (no weights) have done wonders for it.
  • Cam_
    Cam_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you may have torn something in there. Best thing would be to get an ultrasound of it to see what exactly is going on.
    If that is not an option, you'll likely have to wait a year or so for it to settle down. I tore a tendon in my shoulder and I had to lay of the weights for almost 2 years until the pain went away and it strengthened up enough. And that was *with* physio.
    You'll probably heal up faster since you're young but it could take a very long time. Just try to avoid any excercise that causes pain. Pain means "stop".
  • carlxo21
    carlxo21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    You can afford a gym membership but not a doctor visit? It seems to me that you might have your priorities a little backwards, but you're young and you'll never get sick or hurt, right? I'm not trying to be mean here, but these are things you learn as you get a bit older.

That said, it seems to me that your knee is not "healed and fine." There is still something wrong with it and you won't know what it is until you see a doctor. Continuing to do high impact exercises are going to keep it from healing properly on its own, if it can even do that without a doctor's care. If you continue to try to work out on it, the longer you wait to get a professional opinion, the more likely it won't ever be "normal" again.

I use the gym at the apartments I live in..... I don't pay for membership. Quick to judge
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford a regular doctor are there any clinic options near you? While we can all tell you to rest, use a brace, etc. we're not experts and further we can't even see your knee. Find a way to talk to an expert if at all possible. Knees are very tricky!