METFORMIN n PCOS

Options
How many of you ladies are on metformin for pcos...

what are your experiences with this....

did u feel real sick...

did u lose any weight?

did any of u start to ovulate and get pregnant?

Replies

• jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    6 Years ago, I was on it, it gave me bad cramps all day - my doctor ended up switching me to Avandia, which was very easy on the stomach - if it makes you sick or gives you cramps, then talk to your doctor, there are other medications too.

I wasn't trying to lose weight at the time, so I can't help on that part...

I was switched before it had a chance to affect my body, but after the Avandia and 2 rounds of Clomid, I did ovulate on my own. I was not placed back on any medicine after I had my daughter 5 years ago.

Good Luck!
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I took it and was so sick I could not get out of bed. The doctor had to take me off of it. I had one child prior to PCOS but I haven't had another and she is almost 14.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin and spiralactanone or something like that... I would have to check the bottle because I never get it right but I am pretty sure that what I typed is close lol.
    So far it hasnt given me any strange side effects.
    I do know that when I first started taking my medication my fiance could tell. It was almost like feramones were released and he was like hey how you doin.... I know strange huh.
    Also the first time that I had a period using these 2 medications I was overly moody. I have never been the emotional type when I had periods before.
    Fiance was at work and I was at home and I called him crying because there was nothing on television and he was like um WTF....
    Just saying
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have not had any problems with the metformin. I eased into it increasing by 500mg each week, I am now taking 1500mg. I am also the extended release version. I have lost 13 pounds in 2 months which is right on schedule, it has not been a stead loss though, some weeks I don't lose any some weeks I am down 3 or 4 pounds. I set me carb/fat/ protein rations to 40/30/30 to keep my carbs down and protein up. The metformin makes it so your blood sugar does not spike as much when you eat a big meal, it is also recomended that you eat lower carb, I try to stay around 150 g.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I was on 150mg of metformin.and 45 mg of Armour Thyroid. I complained about the diarrhea..and went down to 1000mg of Metformin and doing wonderful

I started taking the combo of metforim and armour in April...since then with diet and exercise..I have managed to lose 25 pounds. I have only 15 more to go to my goal weight of 135.

I am actually going to the doctor next thursday to see how my blood work is..
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for 4 years now. It has never regulated menstruation, or helped me ovulate. However, Metformin works differently for everyone. As well as PCOS is different for everyone.

What i have learned with Metformin is this:

1) the more carbs you eat, the more you will have side effects, the less you eat the less you will experience

2) Most women do not follow the instructions on the bottle and this is important. You must take them as directed, taking them all at once only helps your body for a short time. They are prescribed as 2x or 3x's a day because they help elevate your insulin levels. However, if you take the XR version this is not the case.

3. Metformin will initially help you lose weight, but it the weight loss will die off after a short time, it's initial balancing act, helps you lose weight, But Metformin alone will not help you lose weight.

5. Dosage will depend on your Dr. which could prescribe from 250mg to 2000mg. The key here is that once you figure out your dose, if it's a higher dose, ease into it.. start with a low dose and when the side effects disappear move to the next.

Hopefully this helps. I could go on and on as I've done the research, but really each person differs. Most PCOS patients will need Metformin along with another fertility aide to get pregnant.
  • trishtrish84
    trishtrish84 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Wait so the bottle says I am suppose to take it 2x's a day... I am not suppose to take it all in one sitting... I am suppose to take like one in the morning and one at night kind of thing?

I have been taking it all at once lol maybe thats my problem there...
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I have been taking Metformin for about for about 3 months for PCOS, issues with my metabolism, and pre-diabetes (A1C on the high side) too). I started with 500mg and was supposed to increase it to bid (500mg 2x/day) after a week, but each time I increase it; I get sick with GI problems. So, I stay at 500mg... I also had to take a break from it due to recent surgery and just started back a week or two ago. It does not seem to digest AT ALL though...I know-gross. I realize that there are eported issues with that but not to this degree I think. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be benefiting me with the exception that I am losing a tiny bit of weight; maybe because I haven't tolerated the increase in dosage. At least I'm no longer GAINING weight despite eating well & exercising unbelievably vigorously... Guess I'm not alone in this afterall...
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I take 1500mg a day for my PCOS. I lost a little weight but after a week on it I had no side effects. The Dr. did ease me into the 1500mg. I think most of the weight i lost was due to going to the bathroom alot if you know what I mean. But itsbigjoesgal is right. The more carbs you eat, the more you feel the side effects.

I haven't noticed anything different but it is helping my fertility treatments.
  • msmgis
    msmgis Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been on it about 5 years now. In the beginning I had horrible side effects but the went away. I find that if I eat a moderate amount of carbs with a meal, I'm ok, too little and there could be trouble. I take 1000 m 2x a day. I also worked up to that dose, starting at 500 2x a day. I'm definitely better taking it, than not taking it.
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm not on it now, but I was on it 6 years ago. I had no side effects and got pregnant right away. Everyone is different though :)
  • laurascollins83
    Options
    I completely agree!

What i have learned with Metformin is this:

1) the more carbs you eat, the more you will have side effects, the less you eat the less you will experience

2) Most women do not follow the instructions on the bottle and this is important. You must take them as directed, taking them all at once only helps your body for a short time. They are prescribed as 2x or 3x's a day because they help elevate your insulin levels. However, if you take the XR version this is not the case.

3. Metformin will initially help you lose weight, but it the weight loss will die off after a short time, it's initial balancing act, helps you lose weight, But Metformin alone will not help you lose weight.

5. Dosage will depend on your Dr. which could prescribe from 250mg to 2000mg. The key here is that once you figure out your dose, if it's a higher dose, ease into it.. start with a low dose and when the side effects disappear move to the next.

I have been on Metformin for almost a year now. It made me feel really sick for the first few weeks but after that it was fine. It has certainly regulated my cycle. However I haven't lost weight with it, I've actually gained weight because I've been eating so badly and not exercised consistantly.

I'm hoping that it makes it easier now I'm trying to loose weight rather then the Metformin actually causing the weightloss.

Is there a group for people with PCOS?
  • NuRsEsuzyLee
    NuRsEsuzyLee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was on metformin until my glucose/sugar leveled out. I was at about a 50lb weightloss when that happened. I remember it gave me stomach cramps and diarrhea at first but within a couple of weeks I was fine. I can't say if it helped my lose weight, but it did regulate glucose levels. I'm now a aldactone for the left over effects of a post PCOS life ( hair growth).
  • reenakainth
    Options
    Im not taking the met to reduce my weight..im taking it to control and balance my hormones that are in blighty after my miscarriage...

my consultant said it will reduce my weight as i dont have a glucose or sugar problem so i guess it works differently for diff ppl xx