trouble eating 1200 calories

Options
im not annorexic or bullemic but i just never eat 1200 calories.
i guess that slows down my metabolism
i use to only really eat like 500-600 calories (i like fruit and that makes up a lot of what i eat)
now im really focusing and trying to eat like 700 -900 calories and im excersizing a lot more.
However my food diary is telling me to eat more calories because im exercising more.
I guess i want eat more, but if the diary is telling me to eat more, i know that i won't eat more of the right foods.
i want to lose weight the right way.
so can someone help me out with this.
does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• mrichman
    Options
    im not annorexic or bullemic but i just never eat 1200 calories.
    i guess that slows down my metabolism
    i use to only really eat like 500-600 calories (i like fruit and that makes up a lot of what i eat)
    now im really focusing and trying to eat like 700 -900 calories and im excersizing a lot more.
    However my food diary is telling me to eat more calories because im exercising more.
    I guess i want eat more, but if the diary is telling me to eat more, i know that i won't eat more of the right foods.
    i want to lose weight the right way.
    so can someone help me out with this.
    does anyone else have this problem?
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I did when I first started with Weight Watchers (they use a points system). I was eating far less than I should have for the level of exercise I had been doing. The first week I had to force myself to eat more, I lost 7 pounds. Lost 4 the second week, and 2 steadily the weeks after.

Now I have the opposite problem, but that's due to other factors. I'm exercising far more now than I did previously, however, so hopefully that will help. It's much harder when one is near one's goal weight!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Try drinking some of your calories. Smoothies help me sometimes, as some days the appetite isn't there. My favorite is a cup of strawberries, a cup of water and a tablespoon of almond butter.

Nuts are another way to get a lot of calories without eating a lot of food. If you're a vegetarian, almond milk is another of my favorites.

When I started here, I was also too low with my calories, since I've been eating more I have more energy and have lost more weight.

Space out your eating. I don't eat a lot of meat or dairy, and I eat all the time. Every few hours, but never a ton at once.

Eat.:flowerforyou:
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    i feel exactly the same way.. i eat like 500-700 calories a day and i physically couldnt imagine eating anymore.. i dont think that that is unhealthy or anything though...
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    500-700 calories per DAY? :noway: Are you sure you are counting everything?? What is a typical day's food like? I'm very curious.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    i feel exactly the same way.. i eat like 500-700 calories a day and i physically couldnt imagine eating anymore.. i dont think that that is unhealthy or anything though...

It certainly is very unhealthy. I strongly suggest in doing some research before you embark on any exercise program or diet, because you're endangering your health at the moment. Extreme calorie deprivation can result in a huge loss of muscle mass, a lack of menstruation, sterility, osteoporosis, and even cardiac arrest if the heart muscle is broken down for amino acids needed for energy. In the short term it causes fatigue, a down-regulation of your metabolism, and muscle loss.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

It certainly is very unhealthy. I strongly suggest in doing some research before you embark on any exercise program or diet, because you're endangering your health at the moment. Extreme calorie deprivation can result in a huge loss of muscle mass, a lack of menstruation, sterility, osteoporosis, and even cardiac arrest if the heart muscle is broken down for amino acids needed for energy. In the short term it causes fatigue, a down-regulation of your metabolism, and muscle loss.

Thank you. People need food to live and to be healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • icandoit
    Options
    Good lord ladies. You really need to get some help from your doctor or a nutritionist. You are so young and are setting yourselves up for a very unhealthy lifestyle. Be careful and wake up and smell the coffee. You need to eat at least 1000 calories a day. You can't lose weight by not eating. Your body is going to store fat because it is in shock.
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    well, i am not depriving myself i simply eat when i am hungry.. I have lost weight and kept it off.. i eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.. i eat a lot of fish and chicken.. its not like i am hungry and just simply not eating i just find it hard to eat more than i already am
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OK, so there are either two things going on here.

You're not counting every thing you eat. Sauces? Oils for cooking? Salad Dressings? Dips?

or

You are in starvation mode. Here's a sinister thing about the starvation mode: you lose your appetite. The less you eat, the more difficult it becomes to eat.

For your health, you must eat at least your body weight times ten, and considerably more than that if you are active at all. For your body to function properly and not eat itself to survive, you must gradually up your calories.

eat.:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    Options
    :explode:
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    well, i am not depriving myself i simply eat when i am hungry.. I have lost weight and kept it off.. i eat a lot of fruits and vegetables.. i eat a lot of fish and chicken.. its not like i am hungry and just simply not eating i just find it hard to eat more than i already am

I am guessing you are not feeling hungry because you have trained your body to ignore the feelings of hunger. I have been there, done that. It is really easy after several weeks of extreme calorie cutting to fool yourself into thinking you are not hungry and that you are fully satisfied with the small amounts you have consumed.

And it's really not that hard to add some more calories into your diet without "eating more than [you] already [are]". Throw some nuts and/or beans in your salads. Add another piece of fruit to your breakfast. Put peanut butter on your toast. Add a little extra olive oil to your dressings or when you prepare your meats. Use 2% milk instead of skim. Trust me, none of these will have a negative affect on your diet as they are all healthy choices themselves.
  • scottanderson10
    Options
    Firstnd foremost I would make sure your physician is alright with your low caloric intake. I would sure think that with this low intake of calories your metabolism is nonexistence as well as low energy levels. When we don't eat the body can actually react in a very negative way. Remember that food is fuel and the bodies defense against starvation is to store fat and burn carbohydrates and protein before body fat. I tend to agree with trying to get in some liquid calories or actually reviewing what you're counting as calories. You may be eating more than you think and are missing some of the foods when you count your daily intake. Remember that foods are cooked in diffent oils, that contain varying levels of nutrients and calories. Also remember that when you neglect your calories you're also losing out on important minerals and nutrients

For additional recommendations on supplements, weight management, and vitamins let me know at scottanderson10@cfl.rr.com.
  • mrichman
    Options
    Any normal day i have like a grapefruit for breakfast. And then these mini bagels for lunch and a bottle of water. Then for dinner, I have like a grilled chicken or spagetti with tomato sause. Sometimes I'll have a package of oreos, vanilla wafers, strawberries, or grapefruit as a snack. I don't like salad dressing, so on the occasion i do eat salad. I don't eat dressing with it. I don't really cook so I don't really think of cooking oil, so i never really counted that, but I'm pretty sure it wouldnt't give me that many more calories.
    I think drinking some calories sounds like a good idea.
    Idk i swear im not annorexic.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Any normal day i have like a grapefruit for breakfast. And then these mini bagels for lunch and a bottle of water. Then for dinner, I have like a grilled chicken or spagetti with tomato sause. Sometimes I'll have a package of oreos, vanilla wafers, strawberries, or grapefruit as a snack. I don't like salad dressing, so on the occasion i do eat salad. I don't eat dressing with it. I don't really cook so I don't really think of cooking oil, so i never really counted that, but I'm pretty sure it wouldnt't give me that many more calories.
    I think drinking some calories sounds like a good idea.
    Idk i swear im not annorexic.

Just because you're not anorexic doesn't mean that you're not malnourished or undernourished. You still need to eat more healthy calories (unfortunately that doesn't include oreos or vanilla wafters). There's no reason to eat unhealthy foods to eat enough calories. Just eat larger portions of the good things you're eating.
  • whitmer23
    Options
    another good nutritional item that is healthy is R.W. Family Juices...These can be found at your local grocery store - Safeway, Von's, Wild Oats, Whole Foods, etc etc. All of their juices are 100% fruit juice and are quite, well, filling. One serving equates to 70 cal (cranberry juice) and add a little bubbly of club soda and you'll feel satisfied. Its a great way to bump some calories as well as getting fruit intake. Delicious! :smile:
  • amandastamey
    amandastamey Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eat 6 times a day! I have lost 5 lbs this week just by eating 6X a day and working out 30min cardio and 30 min weight training..and of cource logging my meals and getting inspiration from everyone here! Twice a day you should take in a protein shake with skim milk, they are really good! I like to make a vanilla protein shake (protein powder from GNC) and add a little ice and a couple of sprinkles of sugar free jello (any flavor) to give it a little something extra. I used strawberry banana in a shake I made and it tastes:smooched: awesome!
  • pattys624
    Options
    Although I usually consume more than 600 calories a day, I find that when I stay away from junk food, I can't possibly hit the numbers that seem to be recommended for my activity level!

I mean, between breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I'm not even half way to the goal that's been set for me! For someone of a higher weight, is that a severe problem?
  • MissMe9669
    Options
    Hi there.. I have been reading this post... and just like everyone else I am a little...OK... very worried...

Can you at least give us some stats? Like maybe your height... your weight...ect?
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    well.. i am 5'5 and 134 pounds.. goal weight 125.. lost 25 till now.. i realize that maybe i am not eating as much as i should but from past dieting experience i find that wen i eat more even though still exercising that the scale does not budge.. i am logigng all i eat and idk i am not unhealthy but i am scared about all this concern