Hope topic is ok, I am looking for gals, or guys that have g

Options
NWCountryGal
NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
to school(the 6 month course only)to be Medical Transcriptionist. I would so love to meet someone that either finished the course and is actually working, or, someone that is in the class now, or has been. I am nervous about going through the whole 6 months and then what happens. I am 55 almost 56 and this would be a whole new deal for me. I know I can do it as I have lots of background. I just wonder how good the "deal" is to study(put in all that time and work hard for 6 months)and then possibly not get work. I am not sure with FAFSA(financial aid program)if I have to pay back the money yet either.

I know this is not about finess but because I am feeling so much better about myself due to fitness and health, I want to go to school and get a good job.

Thanks all, denise

PS My FAFSA has been ok'd and I could actually start January 5th I think it is. I could have a new career by Summer 2009:drinker:

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    Options
    to school(the 6 month course only)to be Medical Transcriptionist. I would so love to meet someone that either finished the course and is actually working, or, someone that is in the class now, or has been. I am nervous about going through the whole 6 months and then what happens. I am 55 almost 56 and this would be a whole new deal for me. I know I can do it as I have lots of background. I just wonder how good the "deal" is to study(put in all that time and work hard for 6 months)and then possibly not get work. I am not sure with FAFSA(financial aid program)if I have to pay back the money yet either.

I know this is not about finess but because I am feeling so much better about myself due to fitness and health, I want to go to school and get a good job.

Thanks all, denise

PS My FAFSA has been ok'd and I could actually start January 5th I think it is. I could have a new career by Summer 2009:drinker:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Thanks all, denise

I don't know about a transcriptionist position on its own I work for a practice and the doctors secretary types all there dictations and does other work as well- so she does 3 doctors dictations- but thats just from my personal experience- but kudos to you for trying new things dont be afraid of school or new things knowledge is power
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you for your encouragement. I have been broke for the last year or so and seems the jobs just aren't out there. I work as a caretaker on property and watch pets, feed etc. But no real income, just pays for my room and board. Now that I am accomplishing this fitness and eating right, I felt maybe I could go to school and get a job with decent wage. I will go for it:) Thank you again:):bigsmile:

Thanks all, denise

I don't know about a transcriptionist position on its own I work for a practice and the doctors secretary types all there dictations and does other work as well- so she does 3 doctors dictations- but thats just from my personal experience- but kudos to you for trying new things dont be afraid of school or new things knowledge is power
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken a course nor do I do that type of work. However my husband works with someone who does do that and works with private practices from home. I have heard of others who do it from home for the hospitals. I hear good things about it so good luck. Isn't Sam's Valley near Medford? Lots of medical there you should be able to find something I would think.

:bigsmile:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you, that was encouraging also:) Yes, there is way more medical than anything else. I think it is the best way to go if Im going to take courses for a new job:) Thanks again, soooooooo much, denise:) Yes, I am North of Medford toward Crater Lake:):bigsmile:

I haven't taken a course nor do I do that type of work. However my husband works with someone who does do that and works with private practices from home. I have heard of others who do it from home for the hospitals. I hear good things about it so good luck. Isn't Sam's Valley near Medford? Lots of medical there you should be able to find something I would think.

:bigsmile:
  • Eve23
    Options
    I thought so. I grew up in Medford and now live near Roseburg.

Good luck with your courses.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have not done this type of work - I hope you don't mind...First, congrats on a career change! That is very brave! I am in the midst of one myself :smile:

I am familar with the FASA. There are two options: grants and loans. The difference is simple: grants you don't have to pay back; the money is yours free and clear. Loans you do have to payback usually with interest. It is better if you can fund your education with grants; however, if you do need loans be sure to only take out what you need for your education. Most loan company try to convince you to take out "extra" over and above what you actually need to fund your education. Be careful.

Most schools have a Financial Aid office. I recommend that you become familar with it. They are the experts.

Good Luck.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    thank you eve:) I was born in Roseburg! I moved down here after living in almost every State and wandering for years. I loved the area around Roseburg but when I was in 4 & 5th grade I went to school down here. I had the best memories from here so I decided when I settled in, this is where I'd be:) My Uncle still live in Roseburg and I have one of my best friends from Highschool still live out past Glide. What area do you live in? Im sure I will know it:) denise in Sams Valley:)

I thought so. I grew up in Medford and now live near Roseburg.

Good luck with your courses.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I will be careful as you suggest, and thank you for telling me as I am totally new to financial aid(FAFSA). I see in here(the booklet)they have the loans as well as grants. I applied for a grant so far. But I will need some living expense so may need a loan too. Bare minimum is all I would ask. I have my rent and food taken care of but incidentals and gas I would need. I look forward to getting their letter and finding out "all about it". I will receive another info packet as I had to add the school to my "old" app. I had applied mid-Summer for Rogue Comm. Coll. and so all I had to do was add the school code.

Thank you again, denise:)

I have not done this type of work - I hope you don't mind...First, congrats on a career change! That is very brave! I am in the midst of one myself :smile:

I am familar with the FASA. There are two options: grants and loans. The difference is simple: grants you don't have to pay back; the money is yours free and clear. Loans you do have to payback usually with interest. It is better if you can fund your education with grants; however, if you do need loans be sure to only take out what you need for your education. Most loan company try to convince you to take out "extra" over and above what you actually need to fund your education. Be careful.

Most schools have a Financial Aid office. I recommend that you become familar with it. They are the experts.

Good Luck.
  • Eve23
    Options
    thank you eve:) I was born in Roseburg! I moved down here after living in almost every State and wandering for years. I loved the area around Roseburg but when I was in 4 & 5th grade I went to school down here. I had the best memories from here so I decided when I settled in, this is where I'd be:) My Uncle still live in Roseburg and I have one of my best friends from Highschool still live out past Glide. What area do you live in? Im sure I will know it:) denise in Sams Valley:)

I am in Oakland. We have been here about 4 years now after spending 8 years in Idaho.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    @askeeney this job might keep you busy and distraction free
  • Dan2668
    Dan2668 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was a little confused by the OP but that was a spectacular bump!

For scale, this thread was created ten days after Barack Obama was first elected president of the United States.
  • askeeney
    askeeney Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The topic was eyes catching, but I’m unclear of what a medical transcriptions does. I’m not sure I would be as qualified as @samtarlyonadiet he is a great at multitasking.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think they've outsourced medical transcriptionist jobs to foreign lands by now. What with the internet and all that.
  • samtarlyonadiet
    samtarlyonadiet Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    @askeeney wrote: »
    The topic was eyes catching, but I’m unclear of what a medical transcriptions does. I’m not sure I would be as qualified as @samtarlyonadiet he is a great at multitasking.

Hello, thank you for your very kind comment. At this time I firmly believe that you are the rightful heir to the proverbial throne of this particular job. It seems like something right up your alley.

Kindest regards,
    Samuel