Needing lots of support

Options
So I think I might be driving my loved ones over the edge.

I feel like I need to talk about my weight loss constantly - how can I do better, can they see it, guess how much I lost this week - etc!

The truth is I am feeling so insecure lately and people noticing my weight loss takes the edge off!

Where do you all go for support? I don't want my parents, friends, or boyfriend to disown me!

Or better yet... how do you keep from being insecure when you are losing weight? I have to admit I don't like where I am to change it, but admitting it is shaking my self confidence to the core.

Replies

• DjBliss05
    Options

I feel like I need to talk about my weight loss constantly - how can I do better, can they see it, guess how much I lost this week - etc!

The truth is I am feeling so insecure lately and people noticing my weight loss takes the edge off!

Where do you all go for support? I don't want my parents, friends, or boyfriend to disown me!

Or better yet... how do you keep from being insecure when you are losing weight? I have to admit I don't like where I am to change it, but admitting it is shaking my self confidence to the core.
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I, too, think I drive my husband nuts! He has been supportive though, nodding his head when I talk and also letting me know that I probably shouldn't eat something. Not in a mean way, but in a "Hey, I'm going to be strong when your weak" kind of way. You have reason to talk about your weight loss...what you have accomplished so far is huge and every additional pound lost is going to be an accomplishment in its self!
    It seems to me that you need more support from your friends and family. Next time you feel like talking about your weight loss, let them know that you don't mean to drive them crazy. It is just that you have taken on something and need feedback, advice, and maybe just someone to listen to you. Losing weight is difficult to do! If you don't think you will get anymore support from them, remember you always have the people here who offer never ending support!

I believe the insecurity is natural. Here you have been working hard and maybe you haven't gotten the response you thought you would. Having someone say that you look like you've been losing weight may help give you the boost you need when your feeling tired or the determination to continue when you don't see results right away. If you are having a low moment in your self-confidence, think of what you have accomplished so far, stay positive. You may not like where you are but you are strong enough to admit it and change it.

For me, if I feel like I am talking too much about something, I will sit down and write in Word. I don't save the document but it feels good to get it out in the open. When I am feeling insecure and don't want to fish for compliments, I look in the mirror and say to myself that I am worth the effort and that I look great. I think of a few things that I am proud of doing or the recent accomplishments I've made. Make sure to remind yourself that you are doing this for you and even if others don't see a change right away, know that you are changing yourself (physically and mentally) a little bit at a time for a healthier lifestyle.:happy:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

Wow, you took the words right out of my mouth..or my fingers! I'm afraid I'm driving my family nuts too...and I don't know how to stop!:bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

Support? What's that? My "loved ones" wouldn't know the meaning of the word.

You all are/have been/hopefully will ever be my support in this realm.

Grumble-- :grumble: :grumble: Grumble.
  • aubs057
    aubs057 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how you feel. I think it comes with dieting or losing weight - it's just constantly on your mind! My family and friends have been really good and supportive about it. They always ask how my weight is doin and comment when they notice a difference. It helps a lot! But I still feel like I drive them crazy sometimes. So we've kinda turned it into a joke. Like, laughing and asking how many calories is in this meal? and my sorta chubby uncle would always say that cookies were negative calories so they make it so you can eat more hahaha. Just making it a joke keeps the mood light and doesn't drive everyone crazy as bad. Lol, just an idea. It works for me! haha :laugh:
  • verifire
    Options
    Your accomplishments are wonderful, and you should be proud! But on the other hand, you refer to your loved ones - they are a testament to the fact that you are more than a number on a scale or an image in a mirror. They are probably very proud of you, but to them, your weight loss is only one facet of who you are, and that's how it should be for you too. Weight loss can be healthy if we are shedding extra pounds; it helps our looks, it helps our moods, and it helps our physical well-being. However, it's not an indicator of how you should feel about yourself. Be proud of how well you are doing, but don't let weight make you insecure. There are so many important things in life that have nothing to do with weight, and the fact that your family loves you and that you have them there to tell about your achievements should tell you that you have all the important things in order. In high school I was obsessed with weight loss. Sure, I was skinny, but I would trade in every moment I spent worrying about my waistline in order to work on the things about me that are more valuable. Incredibly, it was letting go of the obsession that allowed me to have a truly healthy diet and exercise, because I was no longer thinking about food all day long.