copy cat dinner #1 chipotle burritos

Options
cavaaller_85
cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
So I was totally craving alllll the bad stuff today. Doritos, chocolate, beer, pizza, and CHIPOTLE. I got to thinking about it, and decided that there must be a healthier way to enjoy something Chipotle-esque. Here's what I came up with:

For the rice:
Substitute quinoa. Start with 1/2 cup of quinoa, 1 cup of water, about 1/8 to 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro, 1 TBSP of lime juice, a dash of chili powder, and a dash of cumin. Put them all into a pot, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer until the water is evaporated.

For the meat and beans:
While the quinoa is simmering, chop up around 6 oz. of chicken and cook it up in a pan with some taco seasoning (or seasonings of your choice). Throw in some diced tomatoes with chilies, some black beans, and some chopped onion*.

*Feel free to add any extra veggies you want here!

Spoon 1/3 of each mixture into a slice of Flatout flatbread, then top with 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and a dollop of light sour cream or Greek yogurt. You can also add some fresh corn, salsa, or both!

The burrito I made tonight had 417 calories in it--waaaay less than a Chipotle burrito. It wasn't the same, no, but it was still really satisfying and it killed my craving!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i did the same thing..i was craving a super sonic breakfast burrito, so i made one at home..the cals were a bit higher, but i saved about 400 sodium..tasted almost like the real one from sonic..hope yours was as good as the real chipotle :happy:
  • rainbowbrite1979
    Options
    Yummy! I love burritos. Thanks for the idea.
  • osucristina
    osucristina Posts: 197
    Options
    yum! This sounds really good, especially the quinoa! I'd probably eat mine with some a toasted sprouted grain tortilla instead of burrito style, but I still can't wait to try!
  • murelzgirl
    murelzgirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This sounds great. I love Chipotle, so I'll have to try this out. Thanks!
  • Tralee1111
    Tralee1111 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I was just lamenting to my hubby that I was craving Chipotle, although I get the burrito bowl. I can replicate the veggies, but the carnitas - would you do the taco seasoning too? I was trying to figure out how I could do that. And the rice. I've never had quino before so I may have to try it.