Plateau?

Options
I had a good loss about 10 days ago and added to my total for a little over a month of faithfully following MFP to be about 12 pounds.

In the past 10 days the scale has gone, up, and up, and up.

It is almost the end of my TOM, but 12 pounds?! I know I didn't gain that much! I shouldn't have gained anything!

I read through the thread on breaking a plateau and I know there are some things there I could do. I give myself high calories days about once a week or every other week to shock my system. I try not to go above what I am burning in a day on those days. I have been drinking more water. I try to mix up what I am eatting for meals and have been trying to snack more during the day. I have been at the gym 3 to 4 times a week. My goals are set for 1.5lbs per week and that puts me slightly under my BMR. I do tend to leave my biggest meal for dinner time, but I am eatting throughout the day. My BMR is about 1750 cals/day and my goals were 1670/day. One other thing was that I bought a new scale and a new heart rate monitor. Scale ways about 1lb heavier than the old one, but is more consistent. That may account for a lb or two. The new HRM is more accurate and I am eatting less as a result. I made those changes last weekend.

Any chance I am in starvation mode? Something just seems really off right now! Any ideas to shake this? I am so frustrated!

Replies

• DjBliss05
    Options
    I had a good loss about 10 days ago and added to my total for a little over a month of faithfully following MFP to be about 12 pounds.

In the past 10 days the scale has gone, up, and up, and up.

It is almost the end of my TOM, but 12 pounds?! I know I didn't gain that much! I shouldn't have gained anything!

I read through the thread on breaking a plateau and I know there are some things there I could do. I give myself high calories days about once a week or every other week to shock my system. I try not to go above what I am burning in a day on those days. I have been drinking more water. I try to mix up what I am eatting for meals and have been trying to snack more during the day. I have been at the gym 3 to 4 times a week. My goals are set for 1.5lbs per week and that puts me slightly under my BMR. I do tend to leave my biggest meal for dinner time, but I am eatting throughout the day. My BMR is about 1750 cals/day and my goals were 1670/day. One other thing was that I bought a new scale and a new heart rate monitor. Scale ways about 1lb heavier than the old one, but is more consistent. That may account for a lb or two. The new HRM is more accurate and I am eatting less as a result. I made those changes last weekend.

Any chance I am in starvation mode? Something just seems really off right now! Any ideas to shake this? I am so frustrated!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Have you been going #2 regularly?
    Increased your carbohydrate intake?
    Increased your salt intake?
    Increased your resistance training workload?

I really see no point in eating less than your BMR. I never have. Think about it--you wake up, get out of bed, shower, make food, drive to work/school, sit up (not lying down), walk around, use the bathroom, think, walk some more, go home and exercise, make more food, shower, etc. Considering that just being conscious burns more calories than being unconscious (the brain uses a TON of ATP), relying on even your BMR to get enough calories is ludicrous unless you're totally sedentary. Eating less is, in my opinion, more hazard than it's worth.

Eat more. You'll see the scale go up some more. Then it'll go back down.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I upped my goal to one pound a week, which will put me just over my BMR. Hard to know without really knowing how much I actually weigh! I am not trusting the numbers right now.
  • ranaelynn
    ranaelynn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Also, don’t forget that if your working out your replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. Get out a tape measure and take down your measurements then check those measurements once a week. Some weeks you may find that your weight has stayed the same or gone up but you are actually shrinking! And hey is that not what we all want , to shrink into those smaller jeans! :glasses:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I upped my goal to one pound a week, which will put me just over my BMR. Hard to know without really knowing how much I actually weigh! I am not trusting the numbers right now.

Sometimes you just have to stick with something for several weeks to see what will happen. Numbers are just estimates...we still have to fudge around with things to see what works and what doesn't. If your clothes are getting tighter, eat a bit less. Take measurements in inches rather than lbs.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    hang in there BJ:flowerforyou: with Tom on his way out...that might be the drop you're looking for!:drinker:
  • DjBliss05
    Options

Sometimes you just have to stick with something for several weeks to see what will happen. Numbers are just estimates...we still have to fudge around with things to see what works and what doesn't. If your clothes are getting tighter, eat a bit less. Take measurements in inches rather than lbs.

The problem is that the measuring tape hasn't shown much loss yet and same with my clothes. My pants have definitely gotten bigger, but small fluctuations just aren't showing up with the amount of weight I still have to lose.

I decided to admit to the 5lb gain and hope that the scale will catch up with what I think I weigh eventually. For now, I'm ok with trying to accept that maybe that number will be waiting for me in a few more weeks instead of tomorrow. It will be fine, as long as the scale eventually catches up.