Steel Cut Oats?

kylielouttit
kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
edited 12:21PM in Food and Nutrition
I bought I big box of steel cut oats today at costco. What can I do with them?

Cookies? Breakfast? Help!

Replies

• gerink
    gerink Posts: 50
    I love steel cut oats - they are just like oatmeal for breakfast in the morning but a bit gritty and to me more satisfying. Haven't tried them in cookies yet but that is a great thought!:smile:
  • 4himalone
    4himalone Posts: 69
    I use them as oatmeal for breakfast. I make up 2 cups of oats at a time. This gives me 6 or 7 1 cup servings. I have it all premeasured for microwaving. I add a banana and sometimes some cottage cheese. I have a cup of almond milk for 40 cals. Oh and I add lots of cinnamon! Yummmm!!!! LOVE steel cut oats!!!!!!
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    It took some trial and error for me to find a way to like them. I add fresh fruit, blueberries, bananas, whatever I have on hand. Some almond milk and sometimes either honey or a little Splenda. They do take more time to cook, so you have to plan ahead, I make bigger batches for the week and just grab and heat.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    I cook them per the package directions, 3 cups boiling water and add 1 cup oatmeal, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. I found I like them better if I cook them for 25-30. As long as they are simmering and not boiling they should not overcook. All I add is a tsp. of butter and sometimes cinnamon. I really like them, in fact, I will be making some for breakfast tomorrow!
  • corapie
    corapie Posts: 21 Member
    These are awesome for breakfast! They have more texture than instant oats which just seem like gluey mush to me. They do need to be cooked longer & then you can add yogurt, fruit, nuts or whatever you like. I would not try substituting them for instant in a cookie recipe, they are really different.
This discussion has been closed.