Nutritionist

Options
rockstarginaa
rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
Does anyone know if/what are the requirements to be a nutritionist? I live in NY, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Replies

• cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    ...I would assume a BA (usually MA) in dietetics, nutrition, whatever the given name for your state.
  • Allivall
    Allivall Posts: 37
    Options
    Go to www.eatright.org :smile: It's the American Dietetic Association's website. They list information on accredited programs.
  • alohabrie
    alohabrie Posts: 204
    Options
    You'll need a BS in Dietetics with a specific program designated by the American Dietetic Association. You then apply for a post graduate internship and they are very competitive. Those run 9 months to 15 months and can sometimes be combined with a Master's program. After you internship (normally a combined community, management and clinical program) you are eligible to apply to take the National Registration Exam. Then you can use those cool RD initials after your name. It is a long process but worthwhile if you love the subject and like to work with people.

Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions I can help with.
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    You'll need a BS in Dietetics with a specific program designated by the American Dietetic Association. You then apply for a post graduate internship and they are very competitive. Those run 9 months to 15 months and can sometimes be combined with a Master's program. After you internship (normally a combined community, management and clinical program) you are eligible to apply to take the National Registration Exam. Then you can use those cool RD initials after your name. It is a long process but worthwhile if you love the subject and like to work with people.

Please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions I can help with.

I already have an undergrad degree, but it is in business. Would I have to get a BS all over again, or is a master's in the field sufficient on top of any other post programs/internships?
  • rockstarginaa
    Options
    Go to www.eatright.org :smile: It's the American Dietetic Association's website. They list information on accredited programs.

Thank you
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    that's for a Dietitian, there are no requirements in the US for nutritionist. Some nutritionists are fantastic at what the do, some are loonie toons.
  • anelahm
    anelahm Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    funny i should stumble upon this post. i was JUST thinking today of how i being a nutritionist is possibly something id enjoy doing for the rest of my life. i enjoy nutrition and this site has helped me learn so much about it, and its just made me want to keep learning. yay:)