Before or After: When to log your food.

Options
My husband has been laughing at me for counting my chickens before they are hatched (or more appropriately, before I can eat them).

Every meal, before I begin to eat, I sit down and log in what I am going to eat. I find it helps me make choices about what to eat and how much of it I can have. So, I am curious what other folks do. Before or after?

Lynnie

Replies

• lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My husband has been laughing at me for counting my chickens before they are hatched (or more appropriately, before I can eat them).

Every meal, before I begin to eat, I sit down and log in what I am going to eat. I find it helps me make choices about what to eat and how much of it I can have. So, I am curious what other folks do. Before or after?

Lynnie
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Lynnie

My husband was the same way as yours, but he's not laughing now that I've lost over 40 pounds! I think he's even MORE proud and happy with my accomplishment than I am!
    I ALWAYS recommend to the newbies to log all their foods BEFORE they have them. In fact, I sometimes log 2 or even 3 days ahead! That way I know if I've gotta do extra exercising for the things that I want to have. PLUS, I ALWAYS make sure I've got plenty of numbers left for a night time snack of Edy's slow churned ice-cream, which is soooooooooooo good! :laugh:
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    i log before when i can, stops me from putting more on my plate when im eating! :laugh:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i log in the morning before i start my day...
    i find it easyer to plan,,, its ok to have changes,, as long as it end up the same at the end of the day

planing is the key !!

may
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Lets just say I am NOT the one to follow. I am one of those people who log after I eat. In the beginning it was a real problem because you dont have any idea what the cals are on some things.

My suggestion is to log before whenever possible. AND if you are going out to eat (which in normal life WILL happen) Check out on line what their meals are caloric wise before you go.

I had an eye popping meal at Olive Garden a month or so into my journey. Got home thinking I did so well and the meal, without the salad and breadstick, was 1550 calories, 3000+ grams of sodium!!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    During my work week I usually log first when I get there so I know what I can eat the rest of the day. My breakfast is usually the same and I take something for lunch and I do eat it then it is up to dinner on what I can eat or how much I can. I usually have my days when I go over some but I am human I just get right back up and start fresh again the next morning.

I had mexican lastnight and got up this morning and man my hands are swollen so I know I am retaining water from the salsa but man it was good, water pill here I come,

Have a great Saturday!!!!!

Molly:heart:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    During my work week I usually log first when I get there so I know what I can eat the rest of the day. My breakfast is usually the same and I take something for lunch and I do eat it then it is up to dinner on what I can eat or how much I can. I usually have my days when I go over some but I am human I just get right back up and start fresh again the next morning.

I had mexican lastnight and got up this morning and man my hands are swollen so I know I am retaining water from the salsa but man it was good, water pill here I come,

Have a great Saturday!!!!!

Molly:heart:

Molly, drink a lot of water today. It really helped to flush the salt out of my system. I had the bloated finger feeling. :flowerforyou:
  • Tati08
    Tati08 Posts: 11
    Options
    I never thought of logging in my food before I eat, that's a great idea!!:smile: Thanks! I'll try that.
  • bhdb
    bhdb Posts: 17
    Options
    I log before if at all possible. My main problems are that I love to eat until I'm full and I love to eat often. A disastrous combination, I know. :smile: Luckily my food diary helps me with this and I usually plan my meals so that I get to eat lots of different things quite often during the day. I've filled my kitchen with all sorts of light snacks with less than 100 calories per serving, so basically, if I feel like it, I can snack my way through the day. :wink:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I kinda do both.
    If I KNOW for sure what I am eating for meals I log in advance...usually my snacks are open for debate so I add them as I go.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's answers, it is fun to see how other people handle things. I'm a fat "undereater", so it has been difficult to munch such a bunch. But, I lost 40 lbs 2 years ago doing pretty much the same thing. I just got lazy and now I have to lose the same 40 pounds. *sigh*
    I've really enjoyed looking around and reading other people's posts and stories. You folks are quite a motivational and inspirational bunch. :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat "undereater", so it has been difficult to munch such a bunch.

Oh same issue here!
    Working out revved up my appetite but only had limited results so....had to cut back on work outs
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I do both. In the morning I log in what I know I am packing for work that day, then when I get home I log in whatever I decided to eat for dinner, and make some variations.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Lets just say I am NOT the one to follow. I am one of those people who log after I eat. In the beginning it was a real problem because you dont have any idea what the cals are on some things.

My suggestion is to log before whenever possible. AND if you are going out to eat (which in normal life WILL happen) Check out on line what their meals are caloric wise before you go.

I had an eye popping meal at Olive Garden a month or so into my journey. Got home thinking I did so well and the meal, without the salad and breadstick, was 1550 calories, 3000+ grams of sodium!!

Good luck!!:flowerforyou:

I too have always logged after eating.

When I first started at the beginning of the year, I would log online and also logged in a journal. I did this for months. I don't know why, but this is what I did. I'm glad I did this because now I pretty much know how many calories are in the foods that I eat. Hope this helps