Yogurt - can it be frozen??

Options
I love yogurt, but sometimes get bored with the texture. Can yogurt be frozen in the containers it comes in from the Grocery??
Or would it be better to put it into another type of freezer container??

I keep craving ice cream - but I'm thinking frozen yogurt would be a good substitute for a whole lot less calories.

Any comments or advice?

Thanks

Replies

• nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have not personally froze them in the container they come in.....in fact I have only made it into frozen yoghurt in my ice cream maker. I have a friend however, that buys big flats of individual sized yoghurts at Costco, such as Activia and puts them straight in the freezer to have to eat instead of ice cream. She loves them that way and so do her kids.
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i'll throw some small individual ones in the freezer overnight and see what happens, lol
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well...all I can say is that they are NASTY if you freeze them and thaw them out (I did that and then thawed it out the other day and it was GROSS....it was all watery and chunky and even when I stirred it, it looked nasty...I wasnt brave enough to eat it, LOL). I havent tried to eat them frozen though, that sounds yummy! :happy:
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I think I'll try freezing some. But to be on the safe side, I think I'll empty the little container into a freezer safe container - that way the cup doesn't crack while the yogurt freezes. I sure don't want to clean up a mess - LOL
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can freeze and eat. I'd say about 30 minutes in the freezer per 6-8 ounce container should freeze it enough to change the texture but keep it slightly gooey in the middle so you can possibly get a spoon through.
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    the whipped yogurt freeze nicely
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I freeze those yogart tubes for my kids and they love them. Kinda like a popsicle and just push it out of the tube :)
  • cheddarboy
    cheddarboy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i put an individual container of sillouette 0fat yogurt in the freezer for about 5 hours yesterday, it was pretty hard so I moved it to the fridge overnight - the next morning it had a good consistency (semi-frozen) and tasted great. It didn't explode or anything either..
  • patiencelahita
    Options
    yoplait cups are great for freezing its one of my favorite snacks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,188 Member
    Options
    It will freeze rather hard if you just put it in the freezer. If you want something closer to the texture of Ice Cream you need to freeze it using an Ice Cream maker or something else that agitates it and works air bubbles into it. I have used out Ice Cream maker to make Ice Almond Milk and Greek Yogurt with very good results. Which reminds me, I really should make some more with the hot weather we are having.

Edit: The containers it comes it will freeze just fine, at least they do here in Canada.